Saturday, January 02, 2021

AMK Curry Puff - Sardine & Yam + Ginkgo Nut Puffs @ AMK 722 Food House [Singapore] #currypuff

I recently wrote about
AMK Curry Puff and got to know that the brand managed to retain their original stall at Ang Mo Kio (AMK). As it turned out, I happened to be visiting AMK this morning amidst the rare, chilly weather in Singapore; rare to find me wearing a jacket! 

So here I am; at the corner of a coffee shop located in block 722, AMK central. It brought back memories of course since I recalled waiting for the piping hot curry puffs back when I was a boy.

Back then, I think it was just the normal chicken curry puffs although the need to diversify means there are two available options; Sardine and Yam + Ginkgo Nut which I shall be trying today, as confirmed previously in my post here.

Sardine Curry Puff - identifiable via the red marks on the cooked puff, do you know that for me; sardine curry puff is actually preferred over the traditional chicken curry puff?

Spicy with that unmistakable sardine aroma, sweetened by the onions; I like this sardine curry puff although it lost to the one from Kalsom Kuih Muih Curry Puff for two reasons; the one here had a thicker crust and the filling didn't feel as generous. 

Yam + Ginkgo Nut Puff - almost similar to the marking on the sardine curry puff, this had just one mark instead of two. Whatever the case, I thought it would be good for the operator to use another colour mark for ease of segregation.

Swees Kopi Tiam at Batam had a yam version but I didn't like the crust. AMK Curry Puff featured the same crust it used for its curry puffs and I love it! Like Swees, it wasn't overly sweet and you don't get that cloying aftertaste once you are done with the puff. 

In addition, there were other nuts found within; for example, pumpkin seeds and they do add texture and flavour. The only strange thing, which isn't considered a disadvantage, was that I caught the light taste of curry when it shouldn't have been the case! 

=====

Address 
Block 722 Ang Mo Kio Ave 8, 
AMK 722 Food House 
Singapore 560722

Pricing
Sardine Curry Puff - S$1.60
Yam + Ginkgo Nut Puff - S$1.60

No comments:

Post a Comment