Sunday, January 31, 2021

Vegetarian Fried Stinky Tofu @ Newton Hawker Centre [Singapore] #newtonhawkercentre

I only intended to indulge in
oyster omelette last Friday when I was at Newton Hawker Centre but the bright red signboard, with three very important Chinese characters, stopped me in my track. 臭豆腐; translated to smelly / stinky tofu, this is one snack I find hard to resist whenever it appeared right in front of me!

Vegetarian Fried White Stinky Tofu - it's a pity they didn't have a mix black and white version; hence, I decided to go with the cheaper white version which still cost S$5.00 for the smallest serving. Unlike mini star in Geylang, you are allowed to choose from five flavours to go with your stinky tofu; two soup-based, and three dry version. 

Playing safe is my forte and I went with the signature five-spices sauce, non spicy. Others included minced garlic chilli soup base, mala soup base, specialty garlic chilli sauce (dry) and signature mala sauce (dry). Optional toppings were peanuts and coriander! 

Frankly, there wasn't any stench, signature of stinky tofu when I was at the stall. Even after I removed the mask back at my table, it was still non existent until I gave one piece a bite; the good old smelly flavour hit at the back of my palate and I must say the sauce played a darn important role in enhancing the flavour as in this case, there's a nice sweetness to the bite. 

Only problem? The lack of crispiness for the texture! And at S$5.00, I thought the serving was little. Thankfully, all my companions were not even slightly interested in stinky tofu and I had the whole bowl to myself!

=====

Address
500 Clemenceau Avenue North, 
Newton Circus, #01-67,
Newton Food Centre, 
Singapore 229495

Map 
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Vegetarian Fried White Stinky Tofu - S$5.00

No comments:

Post a Comment