Thursday, April 14, 2022

The Coco Rice - Halal Certified Blue Pea Nasi Lemak @ Tiong Bahru Hawker Centre [Singapore] #tiongbahruhawkercentre

A reader wrote to me recently to recommend a new yet super good nasi lemak at Tiong Bahru Hawker Centre and since I was in the vicinity last week; why not!? 

Frankly, I couldn't recollect the name but figured the above would be the one since it's one of only two nasi lemak stalls in the hawker centre, and with a new signboard. 

Halal certified, The Coco Rice's tagline is authentic taste in new lemak experience. I am guessing the new lemak experience refers to the use of blue pea flower that makes the rice blue; at least that's the most noticeable although not exactly new since I had a similar one at Lavender Rice Kitchen.

It seemed to have good reviews, ranging from being the winner of the Singapore Food Masters 2021 for the east west zone, to securing a divine rating from Makansutra! There might be hits and misses with Singapore Food Masters but Makansutra is pretty reliable in my opinion.

My order - the recommended set b which included blue pea nasi lemak rice, homemade sambal, fried anchovies, fried peanuts, sunny side up, cucumber and a fried whole chicken leg! 

Honestly, I was utterly wowed by the size of the whole chicken leg! Not to mention as well that I was so looking forward to sinking my teeth into the golden, crisp-looking skin! 

Rice was fluffy, not oily and yet immersed in the fragrance of rich coconut milk; definitely one of the better nasi lemak rice that didn't make me feel overly guilty for ingesting so much starch! Chicken leg was extremely juicy and tender, with a herb-and-spice marination that didn't disappoint my taste buds.

Surprisingly, I love the peanuts which were the old school crunchy type that were stir fried and tossed with salt. Sambal chilli was said to be homemade with natural ingredients and no MSG; to me, it wasn't overly spicy and had a flavorful sweetness that was perfect for the rice. p.s. it might not appeal to spicy lovers.

======

Address
30 Seng Poh Rd, #02-58,
Tiong Bahru Food Centre, 
Singapore 168898

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Set B - S$7.90

No comments:

Post a Comment