Saturday, April 02, 2022

Qing Ming Festival 2022 - Journey to Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery

Given the capacity limits imposed due to the pandemic, I had not been visiting my deceased grandparents and great grandparents for the past two years. This year, the decision was made for my relatives on my paternal side to pray on our behalf but I didn't know and advance book a daytime slot on a weekend for Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery

Typical of the festival, which takes place 10 days before / after the actual day, offerings are required and I was tasked to bring along two large bags and take the train to meet my family at Bishan MRT station. 

Entering via the Buddhist College of Singapore; do remember to keep your confirmation email / ID as the staff members on duty would check for your appointment slot. To check and book, please click here. Hopefully, this system would no longer be required next year.

I have never really checked out the monastery and this map would come in handy as I roughly remember the buildings that housed the niches of my paternal grandparents / great grandparents; pu tong columbarium and pu an columbarium.

Roughly know both columbarium were somewhere ahead.

Me being me; a straight route would have been boring. Despite having just one hour, I cheekily went for a longer route so that I can take more photos of the monastery. In the past, I always came in the wee hours to beat the heat and crowd and the lack of natural illumination meant a lot of blurred pictures.

Temporary tent built to house the tables and incense urns to facilitate the qing ming festival. Known also as tomb sweeping day, the crowds can be massive during peak periods and a proper layout would at least make it easier for devotees.

Hall of Great Strength in front of us; my mom was insistent we should make our way to pray instead of wasting time on photo taking. Hence, I only stop momentarily to take photos every now and then, using my iPhone.

Peaceful water feature.

It always helps for instagram whenever stone statues of adorable young monks are installed in temples and monasteries. This kind of reminded me of the Batam's Maha Vihara Duta Maitreya Monastery (天恩弥勒佛院).

Long corridor with mosaic tiled pillars, painted murals and oriental patterns. I remember the corridor well as I used to accompany my mom occasionally to Kong Meng San Phor Kark See Monastery when I was younger.

Back then, there would be a monthly carnival-like event where people would set up stalls along the corridor to sell stuff. In addition, devotees were welcome to partake in vegetarian fare for free. Guess the event was axed due to COVID-19.

Hall of Amrita Precepts.
Shall share more later.

Relic stupa of Venerable Hong Choon; a formidable religious figure in Singapore before he passed away in 1990. It was often rumored that our late Mr Lee Kuan Yew would often ask him for advice on Fengshui matters; one very interesting story was the origins of the octagonal shape $1 coin

Placement of little monk statue again. 

This building is new; highly modern, it bears no resemblance to traditional religious structures and designs and seems out of place in the monastery

 
Aside from the building, it's the statue of Guanyin Bodhisattva that would draw your attention. Although not humongous, it exuded a calm and peaceful aura. 

More of the little monks! 

Decided to use this space in front of the Pagoda of 10,000 Buddhas as it would be quite near to pu tong columbarium and pu an columbarium. 

Praying begins! Frankly, while I am all for honoring our ancestors, I don't really quite agree with the burning of incense, paper offerings and the dishing out of food. That's what happened when one has a skeptical, logical mind. 

Don't you just love the passage? It reminded me of those in the imperial palaces in China; one of the most beautiful was at the summer palace in Beijing, which spans a length of 728 meters! 

Pu Tong Columbarium - this would be where my great grandfather resided. This should be newer than Pu An Columbarium as I recalled it's fully air-conditioned. 

Pretty lotus flower! 

Another little monk status, and the sign next to it asking visitors not to litter, not to release animals in its compounds and no feeding of tortoises and fishes. 

Mom said it's a must to pray to the statue of Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva before entering the columbarium. Chinese would know him as 地藏王菩薩 and he is famous for his noble vow "not to achieve Buddhahood until all trapped in hell are freed".

Getting my bearing right so that I don't get lost.

Like blocks of HDB flats, each block can go up to a high of 13 floors and the close proximity between blocks mean you are not allowed to hang breakable / sharp objects on the niche door.

Found my great grandfather and my grand uncle who passed away before I was even born. Coincidentally, he stayed pretty near to where I am staying now.

The ladder for those with relatives on the higher floors. At my age, I think it's fine to climb up but for the older generation who are in their 70s, like my parents, I don't think it would be safe as a fall at their age would be disastrous! 

I think this niche was reserved.

These two appeared to be available and they were almost eye level, which would be conducive for the descendants in the future. Heck, I sound like a property agent! 

The crematorium; with a design that is more Thai-inspired, I actually stepped in before on two occasions, I think, and one of them was for the final funeral rite for my grandfather. 

Pu An Columbarium; I have three relatives here! 

Why I feel that Pu An Columbarium is older: the design of the building and the stone lions, which were a lot more colorful. They were cute though; don't you think the cub had an adorably dumbstruck expression?  

I had a hard time finding my great grandmother! 
No issue with my grandparents as I vaguely remember their location.

Finally found her; unlike the niches at Pu Tong Columbarium, the niches here can be behind one another. My great grandmother was three-niche in and all the while, I was only searching for the number on the outermost niches. 

Man-made waterfall; it deserved a picture! Did you notice anything strange about my dad? He had a black eye because he fell at his workplace! Thank god there wasn't any other injury and his eye appeared to be recovering well. 

Woah, there were a lot more people at this multi-storey carpark that was converted into a praying area for people commemorating qing ming festival. Why so many people decide to place out their offerings here?

Because it's closest to the eco-burner; the only place within the monastery for you to burn the paper offerings! Said to be able to "burn at least 20 tonnes of paper efficiently a day", do note that paper boxes and candles would be returned back to the devotees. 

A video of the eco-burner at work! 

Since only my dad and I were tasked to burn the offerings, we took the opportunity to wander around. The above was the tortoise enclosure; long long time ago, it was a few times bigger even though back then, it wasn't as pretty and shelters for the tortoises were quite limited.

Another old school design. 

A convenience store near the Hall of Universal Brightness; under this hot weather, I was craving for something cold and sweet and nothing beats ribena! 

p.s. those who didn't bring anything and feel pressured to buy offerings can do so from the convenience store. Do keep in mind that I am unsure if the prices are much higher. For reference, the green bag on the top shelf cost S$12.00.

Hall of Universal Brightness.

Finally done with the prayers! 
Please be considerate and clean up the table before leaving. 

Photo with my nephew; he was there just to explore and didn't exhibit any interest in the prayers. Well, I wasn't at his age and wouldn't expect him to. It's already nice for him to come with us. 

Time to explore a little bit more! 

One thing that I noticed in this visit was that the part of the lawns were converted into gardening plots where fruits and vegetables were planted and harvested.

First photo was the a small plot to grow ladyfingers (my first time seeing it) whereas the second one was the purple-chilli plant! p.s. mom, a prolific chilli eater in her younger days, commented the purple one wasn't that spicy.

Hall of Amrita Precepts - completed in 1982, it's the place where nuns and monks received basic guideline of moral conduct known as precepts. 

Housed within was the Rocana Buddha in the centre, surrounded by four bodhisattvas, and eight vajrakumaras, each guarding the corner of the octagon platform.

Random photos as we had overstayed our one-hour appointment! 

I think this was the memorial hall. I am always curious on whether I can access the buildings to see what are inside. Maybe next time, after Qing Ming festival. 

The octagon thing on top seemed like a water tank.

Bell tower - seemed to house the ancestral tablets of past abbots, including Venerable Hong Choon. I was more interested to find the staircase that would lead me to the higher levels, which are usually off-limits.

Renovation work at the front of the monastery; maybe I should come again when everything is completed. If not, neither here nor there. Yes, it's procrastination in play here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment