Friday, April 08, 2022

Wilder Mann German Restaurant Bar @ Upper Thomson (Next to Springleaf MRT) [Singapore]

When I first saw the name of the restaurant, the thing that came to mind was caveman since a wild man could only be a caveman if he is any wilder, unless craziness runs in its blood! 

I did notice the word "german restaurant bar" on the signage but sadly, my family isn't really into German beer, sausages and schnitzel and I only got to check it out with a friend who loves to drink and doesn't mind trying out new food. 

Don't you just love this creative notice?! It's no joke when foreigners said Singapore is a FINE city; we tend to associate money as an effective punishment but I think it's more relatable to the older generation. 

Restaurant's interior - not over the top, with people like me thinking the operator didn't quite put much thought into it, although the main focus for any eatery should be the food. That's why I generally avoid cafes where decorations are amazing yet the taste of the food doesn't justify the price.

Some props left me scratching my head; there was a train model railroad and it appeared to be housed within a counter freezer fridge that could have been serving gelato before it was decommissioned. It didn't appear to be working but maybe the power wasn't switched on; like a while elephant in the restaurant. 

There's one thing I would want to bring home from Wilder Mann; the piggy bank to add to my collection at home; I think I have over 30 pigs now. 

Ordering done; friendly service from the staff. As it was our first time and I have no idea what to have, her kind recommendations came in handy, and particularly so when there were so many types of German beers like pilsners, weissbier, dunkel.

First to come up - the Benediktiner Dunkel which was served in a 500-ml German mug, also known as a beer stein! Hailed from Germany, it has an alcohol content of 5.4% and was on promotional pricing at just S$9.90 (original price: S$13.50).

The clanging of beer mugs was necessary! Frothy, the delivery was smooth and creamy with a light fruitiness! Those who know me would be aware I dislike beer when I was a young adult but gradually learn to appreciate it when I am older. It's strange since life is bitter enough, why do we need more bitterness? 

Sausage Platter - "assorted selection of sausages with 2 cheese bites and fries"; absolutely sufficient for two persons! I should bring my niece home, given her love for fries! Those not into fries can consider switching to other options like potato salad, potato wedges or sauerkraut.

I am just giving it a guess; there were four nurnberger sausages, two traditional zwei bratwurste, one traditional boiled sausage and one emmentaler cheese sausage.

Shall be trying this one first; the cheese bite! 

Breaded and deep fried, the noticeable crunch gave way to a string of melty cheese as I pulled it apart! Delicious and like what one of the reviewers on Google mentioned; how I wish there were more of it! 

First sausage; nurnberger sausages, burst of juiciness with a delicious herbs and spices flavor and a  manageable tinge of spiciness. 

Please dip the sausages in this saucer of BBQ sauce which was unlike those from the bottle! Viscosious with a perfect balance of sweetness and savoriness, it was THE perfect dip for sausages and I couldn't get enough of it! 

Second sausage; this should be the traditional one and it was meatier, not as oily and I have a stronger preference towards the nurnberger sausages. 

Third one can be guessed from the oozy middle and taste of cheese! 

Boiled sausage was the one I found most familiar to hotdog but this sure didn't taste like it came from a supermarket brand. It was the meatiest, compact of meat yet so satisfyingly tender and juicy! 

===== 

As you can probably guess from the above, I love the sausages even though in terms of ranking, the second one I had would be my least favorite. Would be back again and my next round shall include a different type of beer (must try mah), and maybe check out the schnitzel? 

Address 
906 Upper Thomson Rd, 
Singapore 787110
(Exit 2 of Springleaf MRT station)

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
Tuesdays to Sundays - 6.00 pm to 10.00 pm

Menu
As above.

Website

Pricing
Sausage Platter - S$24.90
Benediktiner Dunkel - S$9.90 each
(NETT)

No comments:

Post a Comment