Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Lavender Rice Kitchen - Thai Style Nasi Lemak @ Kopitian Acacia in Yishun [Singapore]

There are a number of new housing developments in Yishun over the past few years and while I don't profess to have visited all the neighborhoods; I am pretty familiar with this particular area where my elder sister stays.

Familiar enough to be aware that the nearby coffee shop was never crowded. However, there was a change in management, with the renowned Kopitiam chain taking over the premises. Some new stalls had joined and one of them came with recommendation from my brother in law. 

Lavender Rice Kitchen; my brother in law likes the nasi lemak so much; he ever bought over twenty packets for his men at work! Some of you might have also seen postings of its S$10 lobster nasi lemak making rounds on social media. 

Lavender Rice with Fried Chicken Thigh -
I am unwilling to spend S$10 on nasi lemak (it's sold out anyway); to me, S$6.00 for the above plate would be the maximum I am willing to pay for this popular local dish and this came with chicken thigh, and not your usual chicken wing.

Furthermore, aside from the blue-tinge rice, it's not even our typical nasi lemak; with a Thai twist, this fusion nasi lemak came with mango salad and chilli that's not even sambal based! 

Alex will be pleased to know that the deep fried chicken thigh came boneless! Flavor wise, it was juicy and had that good, old school deep fried chicken feel with no overpowering seasoning and / or fanciful marination. 

Despite the coloring (said to be natural from butterfly pea flower) being the visual highlight, the blue rice surprised my taste buds more with a nice, aromatic infusion of pandan and coconut milk. More often than not, dishes with colorful rice are just pretty, seldom tasty; thankfully, this didn't apply to Lavender Rice Kitchen

Don't discount the omelette; it was similar to my favourite Thai omelette at Pier 21 food court, which I missed so much after the original operator left! Mango salad was refreshing and not too sourish; I would deem it as an equivalence to acar. It's a bit strange to have belacan chilli with nasi lemak but its spiciness was so shiok once you mix it into the rice and wolf them down! 

Satisfying! I am looking forward to trying the rest of their dishes! Given the location, I am sincerely praying the stall would be here for long! Price wise, I think most people would baulk at paying so much for nasi lemak but it's fusion and I personally think this is better tasting than our usual nasi lemak! So, do give it a try if you are in Yishun (the stall is pretty near Wisteria Mall).

=====

Address
504 Yishun St 51, #01-01, 
Singapore 760504

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Website

Pricing
Lavender Rice with Fried Chicken Thigh - S$6.00 
(10% off with Kopitiam Card)

Additional Information
For internet order (for home delivery) or phone order (to order in advance), please scan QR codes above.

No comments:

Post a Comment