Saturday, April 09, 2022

Old Times - Mee Siam and Kueh Kueh @ Kampung Admiralty Hawker Centre [Woodlands, Singapore] #admiraltyhawkercentre

I am getting old as the name "old times" evokes a sense of nostalgia that attracted me to take a closer look. Spanning two stall spaces selling traditional Malay staples on one end and Malay kueh on the other, my mind was scattered as to what I should order! 

Main dish was easier but it's the kuehs that got me hyperventilating! So many to choose from and a line was slowly forming behind me. I shall go with the kueh kodok and the kueh lopis since I had tried before from other stalls and it would be easier to compare.

Here's what I would be having, after Yuan He Mee Jian Kueh and Mutton Dum Briyani from Saamsudeen. To put things in context, I was sharing them with my mom; one person would have been impossible to eat so much food, without having to waste them eventually. 

Mee Siam - let's start with the mee siam. I only started eating mee siam when I was an adult, back when I was working for pet lovers centre and I recalled the first time I had it was at Hougang and fell in love with the orangey bee hoon swimming in a broth that strangely appealed to me in  its balance yet extremes of spiciness, sourness and sweetness.

Unfortunately, this tasted rather muted, and even the sambal chilli failed to have a spicy kick. Its other major failures, in my opinion, were the lack of nuttiness and its imbalance which was skewed towards sourness. 

Kueh Kodok - in essence a mashed banana ball although this tasted more like banana cake without any physical traces of banana. As a banana cake though, it was soft and fluffy, albeit on the oilier side.

Kueh Lopis - I always got this confused with kueh kosui but one major difference is that the sweetness from kueh lopis is dependent on the gula melaka sauce which was poured separately onto the kueh after order. 

As evidenced, it was delightful; a mild tinge of alkaline taste that was balanced out by the sweetness of the sauce, which was surprisingly not the teeth-aching sweetness often found in such kueh. My mom and I loved it! 

=====

Address

676 Woodlands Drive 71, #02-38,
Kampung Admiralty Hawker Centre,
Singapore 730676

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
7.30 am to 9.30 pm
No Off day! 

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Mee Siam - S$2.80
Kueh Lopis and Kueh Kodok - S$2.30

No comments:

Post a Comment