Saturday, April 09, 2022

Heng Li Pancake Min Jiang Kueh @ Mayflower Food Centre in Ang Mo Kio [Singapore] #mayflowerhawkercentre

There are a few things I find hard to resist not ordering whenever I see them in hawker centres, even if I was super full as I was this morning after having a jumbo bowl of Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee

Pancakes, otherwise known locally as Min Jiang Kueh, are one of those things. I have a love-hate relationship with it; my brain adores it whereas my body abhors it, given how carbo and starch rich each piece is.

My intention was just to check out the Mayflower Food Centre near Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee but the allure of Heng Li Pancake stopped me in my tracks. Unlike many pancake shops, this stall only has three flavors; coconut, peanut and red bean paste! 

The limited flavors can only mean two things; one, it's an old stall and the operators didn't want to jump onto the bandwagon on having variety and secondly, they could have been confident on what they offer and hence, decided that these three were the best. p.s. I am just guessing

Bought one peanut and one coconut. Sorry for the mess as they didn't offer a plate even though I mentioned to eat here; therefore, I tore the plastic bags to give us a protective layer on the table.

Quite substantial fillings! From the feel, I noted that the edges were crisp and the batter were not extremely thick, which add on to the guilt whenever I sink my teeth in. 

Sadly, the batter was too gummy for my liking, with a relatively stickier texture that was just a notch higher than being uncooked. Taste wise, could have been more aromatic. Saving grace was really the fillings as both peanuts and coconuts were tasty without being overly sweet. 

=====

Address
162 Ang Mo Kio Ave 4, #01-36, 
Mayflower Market and Food Centre,
Singapore 560162

Map
As above.

Pricing
Coconut Pancake - S$1.10
Peanut Pancake - S$1.10 

No comments:

Post a Comment