Sunday, April 03, 2022

Yuan He Mee Jian Kueh @ Kampung Admiralty Hawker Centre [Woodlands, Singapore] #admiraltyhawkercentre

What's your most recent craving? For me, it has to be mee jian kueh (local pancake) and I would basically buy one whenever I see a stall. It doesn't help that there's a pretty good one at Chong Pang, and I had been going there for lunch / dinner in the past week as I was working from home. 

It was my first time dining at Kampung Admiralty Hawker Centre and maybe it's fate; the first stall that caught my eye right after I stepped off the escalator on level two was Yuan He Mee Jian Kueh! 

Ordered two different flavors although menu showed there were a total of 21, with option to top up with an egg for an extra 80 cents. I am a traditionalist when it comes to local pancake and while one was the common coconut, the other was a mix of peanuts and red bean paste.

Let's unfold both to see if the operator was stingy with the ingredients. Not too bad and from the feel of the fresh pancakes; the outer casing appeared crunchy with the inside featuring cooked yet moist looking batter. Can't wait to dig in! 

Coconut wasn't dry and not as sweet while the Peanut with Red Bean was significantly tastier due to the combination that I first had from a stall around Telok Ayer that had since closed down. My craving was curbed by both pancakes and I love the fact that the batter wasn't the ultra-crispy type which I feel was more biscuit than pancake. 

Only issue is that the batter wasn't as addictive and I attributed it to the relatively bland taste which was remedied by ingredients like coconut, peanuts, red bean paste etc. 

Nevertheless, the pancakes were still one of the better ones around, the stall at Chong Pang appeals to me  more given its proximity to home, cheaper pricing and slightly better taste for the batter. 

=====

Address
676 Woodlands Drive 71, #02-22,
Kampung Admiralty Hawker Centre,
Singapore 730676

Map
As above,

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Coconut - S$1.40
Peanut and Red Bean - S$1.60

No comments:

Post a Comment