Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Easter Brunch Set Menu & A Surprise Birthday Party @ The Dempsey Cookhouse & Bar [Singapore]

The dempsey area is no stranger to me as it was the location of the HQ Medical Corps more than two decades ago and I had the opportunity to visit once, for reasons I have clean forgotten. 

Since then, the area transformed from a stale, boring arena to become the happening lifestyle hub we know today. My last patronage was easily more than five years ago and if not for a surprise birthday party I was invited to, at The Dempsey Cookhouse & Bar, I doubt I would visit as it's not that convenient without a car! 

While the exterior of the building appeared rather unassuming, the interior was another story altogether. It was like separated into four different sections, each with their own concept and I was almost mistaken that there were four restaurants.

I was brought into a private room where the surprise birthday party would be taking place! It was actually organized by the wife of a former colleague and I am honored by the invitation as the regulations then stipulated a maximum of no more than 10 persons for meal gathering. 

Interestingly, for a guy who was always late, I was the first to reach! 
Decided to spend the time taking selfie. p.s. this was the best picture. 

Table layout - smelt of high class setting and I guess this can be confirmed by the large number of expatriates who formed the main customer base for the cookhouse

Start of lunch with the arrival of the birthday boy! I am seldom impressed with the complimentary bread that was served as they were often just stomach fillers with feeble attempt to excite the taste buds. 

Lychee Raspberry Bellini - as there was a minimum spent for the private room,  I ordered a cocktail. Tasted pretty good although forgettable. I was expecting a bit more effort in the presentation. 

Crab Lettuce Cups - my starter which sounded like something I would like, given the combination of seafood and vegetables. Truth was, the filling was salty with a touch of pepper and a spicy tinge. Strangely, it failed to radiate the seafood goodness that would have wowed us.

Crunchy Spiced French Toast - I was deliberating between this and the crackling chicken for my main! It won partly because I love French toast although more often than not; it was disappointment that greeted me. 

Thankfully, this was amazing! Smelt of cinnamon, I love the sweet, crisp exterior of the toast and the slices of delish bacon which were not rock hard. Someone gives me the recipe for both items please! 

Add the syrup for enhanced deliciousness! 
Only thing I didn't like; the sour tasting apple.

Warm Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream - dessert, the last segment for our 3-course meal. Purpose of the above photo was to show you another cocktail I had; the Yuzu Drop, which was tastier than Lychee Raspberry Bellini.

Proper picture for my dessert.

I was telling a friend recently that with the proliferation of gelato parlors in Singapore, the chance of finding good vanilla ice cream is high! The one here didn't disappoint although my main focus was on the lava cake, which oozed alright but was a tad bitter for me. 

What's a birthday without a cake?! 

Custom made from Baker's Brew at short notice, it was supposed to be the 3D image of Tiger beer but the birthday boy is more a Heineken drinker. 

Frankly, I usually feel that such cakes are pretty yet not delicious. This changed my perception; the cream was nice without being cloying and the sponge layers were soft, fluffy and had a nice earl grey lavender flavor. Yummy! 

=====

Address
17D Dempsey Rd, Singapore 249676

Map
As above.

Set Menu for Easter Brunch
As above. 
For other menus, visit their website here

Pricing
Easter Brunch Set Menu - S$58.00
Lychee Raspberry Bellini - S$22.00
Yuzu Drop - S$24.00
(Subject to Service Charge and GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment