Saturday, April 30, 2022

Xun Wei Hotpot (寻味火锅) Buffet along Liang Seah Street @ Bugis [Singapore]

You don't usually see me suggest hot pot whenever I am dining out as I can easily do it at home. However, I wouldn't resist if friends offer and that's precisely the reason why I was at Liang Seah; the indisputable hotpot / steamboat street in Singapore! 

The street was in the news recently due to a violent slashing incident that had numerous videos, of multiple angles, being distributed on social media. Well, I don't really care as my focus was on the birthday treat by a dear friend at XunWei Hotpot (寻味火锅).

Space was limited with just about 7-8 tables! I wandered how the hotpot restaurant survived when safe management measures were tightened as the distance between each table (back to back) was less than 1 meter.

Turned out there was a second floor.
It's where the washrooms are located too.

Slightly more spacious on level two. Since we were quite early (about 5pm), this section wasn't operational but I heard from my friend that the eatery is always full at night and his usual dining timing is about 8-9pm. 

What's the relevance between Xun Wei and the monkey god? 
I noticed quite a lot of artwork similar to the above. 

A box of tissue on the table; important thing to have! I ever mentioned before that dining establishments in Singapore need to up their game, instead of charging customers things like plain water and tissues.  

Self served buffet wasn't allowed then and we can only order from the above piece of paper, with the quantity we wish to have. Not everything was free; mostly only the items on the right. I counted; 63 items ranging from meat, vegetables, fungi, vermicelli to even cooked food.

Condiment bar where you can mix your own dipping sauces! To me, this is the most important reason for me to dine in hotpot restaurants as I am quite fixated on what to have yet too lazy to replicate the same at home.

Beverages were included in the buffet pricing and I thought we were just limited to wintermelon juice, sour plum juice and plain water. It's actually fine with me since the buffet pricing of S$23.80+ on weekdays (Mondays - Thursdays), with a 2-hour limit, was very reasonable. 

But there were more drinks! 
You can also choose from 7-up, Pepsi & Pokka Green Tea! 

That's not all; there was an automatic drink dispenser.
It had blackcurrant juice, barley and calamansi juice! 

What's required after a meal? Ice cream of course!
There were strawberry, chocolate and vanilla.

Fruits were included too; not many but I was already satisfied with the sweet watermelon and the even sweeter rock melon! Contrary to most people, I like having fruits before my meal; mainly because I can self service. 

My preferred dipping sauce which usually consisted of sesame sauce, peanut sauce, a teaspoon of sugar and loads of spring onions / coriander. If fried peanuts were available, I would add them too. 

Our double pot; mala and tomato sauce! I am not that big on soup and would go for tomato soup, if it was up for grab. This was above average even though definitely couldn't beat the one from Haidilao

The arrival of the raw ingredients! Contrary to some online comments, we were served quite fast and this came within ten minutes from us stepping into the dining establishment. Likely because we were too early and the crowd hadn't descended yet.

For me, buffets mean I should avoid stomach fillers like rice and noodle, and concentrate on more expensive items like US beef slices, where each of us ordered no less than five portions, each! 

Another worth it item would be prawns and I was surprised to see such large prawns! The lala can be removed; had a sandy taste to them and they are troublesome to handle. 

Prawns tasted fresh and delicious! If my elder sister were with me, I bet she could easily help herself to no less than 20; in addition, she would likely help me peel too. *loved*

Scallops were overcooked; my fault.
Nonetheless, prawns over scallops for me.

Aside from the above, other raw meat we ordered included handmade pork ball, handmade beef ball. Latter was pretty good, with a strong beef flavor. I had cheese tofu; insufficient cheese in my opinion! 

My friend was right; the shabu shabu US beef slices were incredibly juicy with lots of fats at the edges. Perfect for my nutty dipping sauce! I was secretly screaming in ecstasy every time I put a slice into my mouth; at least until my last portion of beef slices.

I saw pumpkin pancakes on the menu and decided to order one serving to try out! One serving equated to four pieces and that's a bit too much to try for two persons. 

Texture wise, it had a nice breaded crispiness that some dim sum restaurants failed to even attain. The pumpkin filling was soft yet sticky like nian gao; only issue for me was that it could have been sweeter.

Deep fried buns were recommended!
C'mon, they would have tasted alright with the condensed milk! 

Actually not bad with a crunchy shell; albeit inside wasn't the fluffiness I prefer. Whatever the case, the condensed milk dip did a wonderful job in enhancing its palatability. 

Burp! I was stuffed! At my age, buffets are no longer as enjoyable as my intake had reduced so much as compared to my teenage days, when I can easily down 8 slices of pizza, 1 plate of pasta, and two bowls of lasagna. 

My friend can still eat ice cream!
p.s. I don't like cremo ice cream.

I shouldn't have filled myself with water though. In addition to four cans of pokka green tea, I also had two glasses of blackcurrant juice (ribena tastealike). 

=====

Honestly, I was happy with the buffet. Indicated as S$23.80+ from Mondays to Thursdays, it was a steal, especially when you factor in the fact that drinks were free, the beef slices were good and the prawns were big! I can't comment on the vegetables but they did appear green and fresh. 

As this meal was a treat, I didn't notice the receipt until I was preparing for this review. My understanding is that the + beside the pricing usually refer to service charge or GST but in this case, both were added. Furthermore, soup base was separately charged at S$8.00, which I didn't remember was mentioned to us. My friend was cool to it though since he paid about S$30 a head every time he visited but to me; businesses shouldn't be sneaky about their pricing! 

Address
28 Liang Seah Street, 
Singapore 189049
(Near Bugis MRT Station)

Map
As above.

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/Xun.Wei.HotPot
 
Pricing
Soup Base - S$8.00
Buffet - S$23.80 per person
(Subject to GST and Service Charge)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:04 PM

    For ordering, the paper is it you can order more after the first time you order? Or is it just one time ordering?

    ReplyDelete