Friday, September 17, 2021

Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee @ Ang Mo Kio Block 151 [Singapore]

It's no secret I miss travelling to Thailand and I believe many people right here in Singapore feel the same way too although the general consensus is that we just yearn to get out of the country.

Nevertheless, the lack of travelling means that when people crave for overseas food; they would have no choice but to search within the little red dot on equivalent alternatives. That's the reason why we were craving for Thai wanton mee at Ang Mo Kio last Saturday! 

As the stall also handled pre-orders and deliveries, it can be quite a wait. In our case, despite a queue of less than ten persons, we queued for about 30 minutes before we got our food. It's long considering that the prep and cooking time for wanton mee isn't known to be long. 

Here's our food; a bowl of jumbo Thai wanton mee, with extra noodles and ingredients, and a serving of homemade Thai fried pork. Note; they were to be shared between my sister and I.

Homemade Thai Fried Pork - not that huge a serving and it cost S$7.00. They were crispy alright with a light saltiness; honestly, not that fantastic as it seemed that the deep frying was too long and it had resulted in the pork turning too dry with a lack of juiciness. 

Thai Wanton Mee - you know what's the least appealing thing about this bowl of noodles? It's the parched look of the noodles and I had to admit; I didn't have a good impression and wonder if I should have just eaten at Zhou Ji Wanton Noodle at AMK central instead. 

I was so wrong! Each strand of noodle was covered with what appeared to be lard oil and the moment the bundle of noodles touched my taste buds; my brain zapped. They were super duper delicious and even though I was supposed to be sharing with my sister; I guess I ingested way more than the 50% that would have been allocated in a fair manner. 

Ingredient-wise, the pork lard didn't disappoint with its crispiness and the size they came in, and the char siew were pretty good, exhibiting juicy tenderness and a smoky, lightly sweet marination. The one that absolutely took the cake were the pieces of Thai fish sausage; although hard, they were like a cross between Cantonese lap cheong and Taiwan sausage! Needless to say, I love them and would likely order a separate serving for them in the future! 

=====

Address
151 Ang Mo Kio Ave 5, Stall 5, 
Singapore 560151

Map
As above.

Opening Hours
7.00 am to 3.30 pm
(Closed on Mondays)

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Thai Wanton Mee (Jumbo) - S$6.00
Homemade Thai Fried Pork - S$7.00

No comments:

Post a Comment