Friday, December 04, 2020

Eat 3 Bowls (呷三碗) - The Best Lu Rou Fan in Singapore @ Crawford Lane Near Lavender MRT Station [Singapore] #eat3bowls

It's just seven minutes to 11.00 am and my heart dropped when I saw the long queue; darn, I should have arrived an hour earlier to beat the crowd! Turned out I over-reacted as the queue belonged to Tolido's Espresso Nook; the next door neighbour of the eatery I was going to check out that day.

Eat 3 Bowls (呷三碗) - the name is so literal; I don't think anyone needs to think too deeply on what it means. Came strongly recommended by the Great Kon, whom I trust almost entirely when it comes to food and travel, I can't wait to have the braised pork rice (luroufan) said to be the second best he ever had in his whole life.
 
The decor of the place was like going back to school in Taiwan; it might not be familiar to Singaporeans but if you enjoy Taiwanese movies like You Are the Apple of My Eye (那些年,我們一起追的女孩) and / or Our Times (我的少女時代), the wooden tables and chairs would ring a bell. 

There was also a school bag hung over each chair! Quite cool and reminded me of a period of time when I was a teenager that such green colour bags, without the Chinese characters, were popular among our generation. Boy, that seemed so long ago! 

Noticeboard for the "classroom" that was decorated in a cute manner with photos of food, newspaper / magazine cuttings of reviews and even a class schedule. I still remember being "arrowed" to spruce up a noticeboard for a CCA back in secondary school; no, it wasn't creatively done if my memory serves me right.

Menu in the form of a parental communication booklet! I think this is something used in Taiwan for the teachers to communicate with the students' parents. Nowadays, parents in Singapore use WhatsApp to converse with the teachers; way faster and much more convenient. 

Look through the menu to determine what to do, make your order on the order list (sharing it with you towards the end of this post), pass it to the cashier, pay for the meal and then wait for the food to be delivered! 

Initially, I thought eat 3 bowls refer to the notion that the food would be so good; you would have at least three bowls. That could be the case although it could also mean you can go for their signature mini-size three bowls which comprised of braised pork rice, chicken rice and intestine mee sua, with one serving of drink at just S$15.00! 

Arrival of our beverage! 

Bubble Milk Tea
- of course it's a must to have bubble milk tea from a Taiwan eatery! To be totally honest, it didn't blow me away as I thought it might; pretty normal with nice and chewy pearls. 

Our food all came together! Aside from the signature mini-size three bowls, we also added a normal sized chicken rice, a normal sized braised pork rice and a tofu with century egg for sharing.

For three of us (including Alex who can be extremely picky), it should be more than sufficient but the Great Kon, whom we coincidentally bumped into about 15 minutes later at the same eatery), we should have topped up to a set for the normal-sized braised pork rice and chicken rice. 

Tofu with Century Egg
- i can't resist century egg and managed to persuade my friends to share with me. Topped with pork floss, it's really just cold tofu with half a slice of century egg with a gooey middle.

On its own, the tofu wouldn't have tasted much but with the pork floss, it was a total 180-degree change and I think this would be something we can easily replicate at home! The century egg was rich and it was an explosion of flavours when I had it with the tofu and the pork floss; absolute bliss! 

Signature Mini-Size Three Bowls
-for first timers who couldn't decide what to eat, this would be the best option whereby you can choose to sample all three signature dishes in mini portions; braised pork rice, chicken rice and intestine mee sua! I am least interested in the mee sua but nonetheless, would give it a taste for the sake of trying. 

Braised Pork Rice - after trying so many luroufan in Singapore in the past few months, this is my favourite and no doubt the best I have had in Singapore! Full of flavour without being overwhelmingly porky, yet with an acceptable sweetness; you can't even feel the meat as there were just too much of the delicious fats! 

I am so going to order the normal portion the next time I visit! It was mentioned earlier that the Great Kon said it's his second best luroufan; reason being the best he had was in Taiwan although it's still amazing that the second best is right here in our little red dot! 

Chicken rice wasn't the type we are accustomed to having in Singapore; moist, shredded chicken with a light saltiness. Similar to what I had at Shida Night Market. Intestine mee sua had this strong bonito flakes flavour that tasted quite palatable. My friend had the intestines instead and he commented it was quite "potent"; meaning I should steer clear of it, I guess.

=====

Address
Block 462, Crawford Lane, 
#01-61, Singapore 190462

Map
As above.

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/eat3bowls/

Menu
As above

Order List
As above.

Pricing
Signature Mini-Size Three Bowls - S$15.00
Tofu with Century Egg - S$3.20
Bubble Tea - Free from the Signature S$15 Set
(No Service Charge, No GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment