Monday, December 14, 2020

Hong Chong Wanton Mee (鴻昌雲吞麺) - Old School Wanton Noodle @ 724 AMK Central Food Centre [Singapore] #amkcenrtalhawkercentre

Which stall has the longest queue at 724 AMK Central Food Centre? I can guarantee you that it's
Xi Xiang Feng Yong Tau Foo but what if I don't feel very yong tau foo that day? 

Well, there are plenty of other food stalls within the hawker centre and the one I decided to try that particular day was Hong Chong Wanton Mee (鴻昌雲吞麺). To be frank, I have never heard about it but it did have a queue and mee kia (noodle) sounded fabulous on a Saturday morning! 

Granted I wasn't too keen with the strings of lean looking, char siew with not much charred bits hung up at the stall, the line of people waiting to order always gave me some hope.

Eyeing the bowl of crispy pork lard and as expected; I helped myself with a heaped spoonful! I requested for ketchup instead of chilli and it was just separately squeezed out from a bottle onto the side of the cooked noodle; quite strange as normally, the operator would put the ketchup first, pour over the noodles and then mix for me! 

My simple order - wanton noodle (mee kia) with a top of S$1.00 for two dumplings. I always find it hard to explain to non-Chinese friends the difference between wanton and dumplings since in English, a wanton is sorta like a dumpling but it's much, much smaller with a different taste.

First on the dumpling (the large one); not as big as some from other wanton noodle stalls and taste didn't impress me enough for me to feel that it's worth a second order in the future. 

Thoroughly mixed up my noodle with the ketchup and took a bite; the noodle was pretty dry but it's shiok to slurp them in one big clump! Actually quite nice and it reminded me of the old school kind wanton mee I used to have when I was a little kid. It's strange human behavior that while the food we had might not be the best tasting around; it somehow still managed to evoke nice, heart-warming memories from the past. 

The slices of char siew was, as expected, not the fatty, slightly chao-ta (burnt) kind I enjoyed even though they were still flavourful enough for me to clean them up from the plate. It's a different story for the pork lard; they tasted off and shall not have the privilege of residing in my stomach! 

=====

Address
Block 724, Ang Mo Kio Ave 6, 
724 AMK Food Centre,#01-21, 
Singapore 560724

Map
As above.

Price
Wanton Mee  - S$3.00
Top Up Dumplings - S$1.00 for two 

No comments:

Post a Comment