Wednesday, December 30, 2020

AMK Curry Puff - Childhood Memory from Ang Mo Kio @ Toa Payoh's Super 28 Coffee Shop [Singapore] #currypuff

Back in the 1980s, the public transportation system in Singapore wasn't as advanced and one of the "hot" spots we frequented often was the nearby Ang Mo Kio town with its wider range of amenities. As kids, we were darn excited whenever we got to go out and aside from the chance of having a mug of root beer float from A&W; my mom would also buy for us curry puffs from a corner coffee shop near the now Jubilee building. 

It remained a good memory and while it was a bit fuzzy, it did ring a bell when my elder sister informed us that the same old curry puff stall had relocated to Toa Payoh (TPY)! As there were just too many food options in TPY, I finally managed to leave a bit of stomach space to recollect my childhood curry puff moments. 

Newspaper articles, blog reviews proudly framed up at a corner beside the stall. For those who are unaware, the original stall at Ang Mo Kio is still around but it's tagged as a second branch as the original company was sold off and rebranded as Tip Top which currently has seven branches across Singapore. 

Got my hands on the original (chicken) curry puff! 

At S$1.60 each, it's a rush of good, old memory as I took my first bite; thin, buttery crust and the mashed up potatoes mixed with pieces of chicken that featured the memorable punch of spicy curry! To be frank, it tasted somewhat like my favorite Swees curry puff from Batam; less sweet, spicier and a lot more expensive. 

However, with the current travel restrictions, I think AMK Curry Puff would be my favourite for the time being! There were other options like Sardine and Yam, similar to 
Swees Curry Puff and I would definitely be back to check them out soon!

=====

Address
184 Toa Payoh Central, 
Super 28 Coffee Shop
Singapore 310184 

Map
As above.

Pricing
Chicken Curry Puff - S$1.60 each

No comments:

Post a Comment