Thursday, December 10, 2020

You Xiang Teochew Noodles (友香潮州面) - Mushroom Bak Chor Mee @ Bukit Panjang Hawker Centre [Singapore] #bukitpanjanghawkercentre

The signboard lights were off; presumably because the stall had yet to open for business. However, this didn't deter customers from continuing to queue and my curiousity was piqued. Was it so worth the wait? 

Lights were switched on shortly after I joined the queue and I got to order after waiting for about 20 minutes. It's only when I am closer to the stall that I finally caught sight of the name of the stall; You Xiang Teochew Noodles and it appeared to have been in the same business for 35 years! Okay, still a bit younger than me. 

Love it when stall operators put up the condiments for you to self service. Did you notice the one item that I was eyeing? It's one of the world's top ten most nutritious food

Crispy pork lard; I was secretly smiling in my heart. Since it's my first time, I am going to be a bit more conservative and shall help myself to just one heaped spoonful. 

Basic mushroom minced pork noodle with two top-ups; taiwan meatball and crispy beancurd skin. Looks like a lot but I would be sharing with the rest of my family members. That's the advantage when we eat out in a group. Note; we kept to the government regulation (for COVID) of no more than 5 in a group.

Taiwan Meatball
- when compared to fishball, I personally prefer meatball and hence, I couldn't help not ordering this! At S$1 for two, they tasted not bad and you can get more minced meat hidden within the meatball.

Crispy Beancurd Skin - I initially thought would just be the skin but no, there's meat within and it kind of reminded of the hugely popular Ding Tai Fung Prawn Pancake; not as amazing of course although I can't complain when it cost only S$1 apiece here at You Xiang Teochew Noodles

Mushroom Minced Pork Noodle - coming to the main star of the stall, this bowl of noodle was filled with so much ingredients; I was surprised to fork out only S$2.70! 

The price is a rarity as bak chor mee costs generally above S$3.00 and even then, you might just get paltry amount of ingredients. Not You Xiang Teochew Noodles; the stall-owner gave me so much liver! It's a pity I don't know how to enjoy it and had to pass all of them to my sister. 

Well cooked noodles coated with vinegar and chilli; it was delicious but I guess some bak chor mee lovers would complain that the vinegar taste might be a bit too light for them. Well, one man's meat is another man's poison; I actually don't enjoy vinegar that much and if possible, prefer to go with ketchup or a mix of ketchup and chilli sauce. 

For S$2.70 (excluding S$2 for the crispy beancurd skin and Taiwan meatballs), the meal was definitely not expensive and I can understand why it can command the longest queue at Bukit Panjang Hawker Centre.

=====

Address
2 Bukit Panjang Ring Rd, #01-13, 
Bukit Panjang Hawker Centre 
Singapore 679947

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Taiwan Meatball - S$1.00
Crispy Beancurd Skin - S$1.00
Mushroom Minced Pork Noodle - S$2.70

No comments:

Post a Comment