Monday, November 23, 2020

Birdfolks Fried Chicken @ NEWest (Former Hong Leong Gardens) [Singapore]

Hong Leong Garden was a landmark at Clementi's West Coast area but it no longer existed. Taking over its place is NEWest; a mixed development that includes both retail and residential. I am not able to afford an apartment in a condominium; hence, the reason for my visit would have to be for the retail. 

Birdfolks; what's your first thought? When I heard the name for the first time, I was thinking if it's a bird shop where bird-lovers would congregate to purchase the feathery animals and gain knowledge on its care. 

The harsh reality is that it sells the birds, cooked! Technically, it's your typical fried chicken joint although this eatery also serves them in options like rice, salad, burgers and sandwiches. Grateful to the chicken? You can express your gratefulness for them by taking a nice photo using the birdcage backdrop, and uploading them to your social media.

A glass of teh-o first; I had such a hard time deciding what to have. I would love to try their fried chicken but the price tag of S$12.90 for two pieces was just too hefty! 

Eventually, I settled on the combo plate which included the fried chicken, nuggets, onion rings, fries and choice of a dip (truffle mayo, wasabi mayo or nacho cheese). 

As the dish was featured with an orange background on the menu (which I would share later nearing the end of the post), I am making a huge assumption that it's recommended. 

Onion rings didn't impress while the oregano fries would entice me better with a crispier bite. Nuggets were quite good even though it's not on the same level as the amazing ones from McDonald's; well, it would still do when you have a sudden craving for nuggets. Having said that, it's easier / faster for me to heat up the frozen nuggets from FreezePak

Fried chicken was obviously the highlight. Cut up into four bite-sized portions, I must say it's extremely juicy as you could probably attest from the above photograph. Taste wise, I couldn't help but found similarity with the Taiwanese Style Fried Chicken Cutlet from Devil Chicken which I personally enjoy very much and would occasionally purchase from the takeaway counter at Northpoint! 

Honestly, I am a big fan of creamy dips.... The truffle mayo dip was good with a strong truffle flavour; however, I always go back to the chilli sauce! To think that when I was a young adult, I couldn't even stand the spiciness!

My friend's 2-piece chicken; maybe I should consider this over the combo in my next visit. Problem is; Devil Chicken seems cheaper. 

=====

Address
1 West Coast Drive, 
#01-75, NEWest,
Singapore 128020

Map
As above. 

Operating Hours
Mondays to Thursdays - 11.00 am to 8.00 pm
Fridays to Sundays - 11.00 am to 9.00 pm
Public Holidays (PH) and Eves of PH - 11.00 am to 9.00 pm

Website
https://birdfolks.sg/

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Combo Plate - S$16.90
Teh O - S$1.80
(Nett)

No comments:

Post a Comment