Saturday, November 14, 2020

Fu Zhou Poh Hwa Oyster Cake (福州寶華蠔饼) @ Berseh Food Centre [Jalan Besar, Singapore] #BersehFoodCentre

When it comes to oyster cake, you can't blame me for being fixated on the Teochew Meat Puff (that now has a permanent location in Woodlands) as I am just not keen on the oysters. Furthermore, I had tried the famous one at Maxwell Hawker Centre and it turned out to be a letdown! 

By all means, I typically wouldn't want to try the oyster cake from this Fu Zhou Poh Hwa Oyster Cake stall at Berseh Hawker Centre but many stalls were closed on the day of my visit and while the queue was non-existent, the wait was at least 30-45 minutes; precious time I didn't want to waste, especially when there's a likely chance it might be a disappointment. 

I actually returned for a second visit to the hawker centre as I was in the vicinity and since it was about 5.00pm, the wait was a lot more bearable. Luck was on my side too as the stall was down to its final tub of batter. 

The pager started beeping about 8 minutes later.

Collecting the oyster cake that was placed in a paper bag; was expecting a plate actually for ease of eating since I would prefer to eat it right away; piping hot from the boiling oil! 

Unlike Teochew Meat Puff, there's only one type available for sale; the authentic oyster cake and at S$2.30 apiece, it's also much cheaper than my favourite stall. The toppings can vary between silverfish and peanuts but don't think too much; the filling would be the same.

One bite down and the immediate thought was how thin and crispy the outer layer was! I was glad I didn't take a larger bite as I would have accidentally eaten the oyster! Don't judge me but I don't enjoy oyster; although I did think it's more edible compared to cockles. 

Oyster was rather big but it shall be given to my mom who was with me. 
She appreciates it much better than I do.

Aside from the oyster, there were also prawn, minced pork and chinese parsley. Surprisingly, the combination was delicious even though I wish there were a thicker layer of the palatable pork. Next time, maybe I would try my luck to ask if they can replace the oyster with more of the marinated pork! 

=====

Address
166 Jalan Besar, #02-34, 
Berseh Food Centre,
Singapore 208877

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
10.00 am to 6.00 pm
(Closed on Tuesdays)

Pricing
Oyster Cake - S$2.30

No comments:

Post a Comment