Monday, November 30, 2020

Mei Li Cafe (美丽の小息站) - Your Neighbourhood Cafe @ Yishun Block 729 [Singapore]

I have a pretty routine route nowadays for my almost-daily jogs and there's one eatery I would bypass so frequently; I knew for a fact that it would close on Sundays. Since it's within a few minutes' walk from my flat, I arranged with a friend to check it for lunch on the week I was working from home.

Mei Li Cafe - a hole in the wall dining establishment that many wouldn't have noticed unless they stay around the nieghbourhood. Even I only got to know about it recently despite living in close proximity and the cafe had been operational since May 2019! 

Operating hours are from 6.00 am till 8.00 pm; I wouldn't wake up that early (and it's not the same direction towards the MRT station) to find out what's for sale but I bet you would be able to find prepacked nasi lemak, noodles, cakes, kuehs and sandwiches placed on a table outside the cafe. 

Place was cramped with tables to accommodate two groups not comprising more than four people each. Extra tables can be placed outside although I doubt it would help to alleviate the space crunch. 

Menu as above; selling mainly finger food (fries, waffles, instant noodles with options to add egg, luncheon meat and / or hotdog) to accommodate likely the nearby junior college, primary and seconday schools, I was more interested in their daily special set which changes according to the friendly owner.


Special Set
- on the day of our visit, it's the braised chicken set! 

Cabbage tasted just like my mom's cooking style and as some friends are aware, my mom cooks real well. Pity her son me didn't have the patience to train under her. Braised chicken was fresh, featuring the most desirable portion with meat that had a tender texture. 

It's sad, however, that it didn't taste braised enough and both my friend and I found it too bland for our liking. A fellow diner seemed to share our thought and asked the owner why she didn't make curry chicken that day! By the way, rice is refillable! 

Waffle with Ice Cream - 
Thankfully, we had the foresight to order this as dessert! If you are expecting those thick waffle from most ice cream parlours, brace yourself as this one from Mei Li Cafe was more the thinner kind you can get from Prima Deli, with just an extra scoop of ice cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce.

I actually like the fluffiness inside and the crispiness on the outside, and the chocolate chip ice cream we had didn't taste like those cheapo ones you get sometimes from some shops. At S$3.50, this would also be affordable for me to treat Jovyn on the days she would come over to my house for stayovers. 

=====

Address 
Block 729, Yishun Street 71, 
#01-107, Singapore 760729

Operating Hours
6.00 am till 8.00 pm
(Closed on Sundays)

Pricing
Special Set - S$7.90
Waffles with Ice Cream - S$3.50

No comments:

Post a Comment