Monday, November 02, 2020

Song Zhou Fried Carrot Cake (松州萝卜糕) @ Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre [Singapore] #bedokinterchangehawkercentre

Some hawker centres have stalls that are so well known; people remember the stall's name better than the name of the hawker centre! One good example is the New Lucky Claypot Rice which is located at Holland Drive Hawker Centre

While Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre was no stranger to many, the most famous stall was said to be Song Zhou Fried Carrot Cake. Don't be deceived by the lack of queue as you would be given a duration, like 15 minutes, to collect your food. 

Take note; you can't mix! Not an issue for me personally as I have always preferred the black version. Even though I am sharing with my elder sister, I bet she wouldn't mind aligning with my preference.  

After fifteen minutes; the plate of black carrot cake with an extra egg. The shade was dark enough and my only complaint, at least from this first impression, was that there were too many large pieces of carrot cake. 

Complaint was thrown out of the window after I took my first bite; the carrot cake had an amazingly soft texture that I never encountered before for carrot cake, and there was an alluring, smoky aroma that went well with the crisp, caramelized edges of every diced piece and the occasional crunchy, sweet-salty bits of preserved radishes (chai po)! 

There were so much flavour and sweetness was just right; to think that I didn't ask for extra sweet sauce when I ordered. For an egg lover, I totally didn't regret the extra egg option. Maybe also because I feel less guilty with the higher egg / carrot cake ratio.

What's there to improve if I were to re-order in the future? Hm...... Maybe I would still ask them to dice up the carrot cake to even smaller pieces. Although the current method was sufficiently good on their own, I can't help thinking how great it would be if there were more of the crisp edges! 

=====

Address
208 New Upper Changi Road, 
#01-37, Bedok Interchange Hawker Centre, 
Singapore 460207 
(Next to Bedok MRT Station) 

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Black Carrot Cake - S$3.00
Add Egg - S$1.00 

No comments:

Post a Comment