Sunday, November 08, 2020

Attack of the Maggots!

I have lived in a HDB flat long enough to know what kind of pests lurk around. Cockroaches, lizards are common and hence, you can imagine how unbelievable it was when a friend claimed to see a worm when the group of us were chatting in my kitchen.

It was necessary to identify the source and after checking; we finally found the culprit. A bag of Japanese rice that was sealed up; it was last used maybe two months ago and had yet reached the expiry date. 

To be honest, I was a bit taken aback as I was have expected weevils in ricel definitely not maggots! Even though there were flying insects found in my house recently, they were not houseflies and I had assumed they flew in due to the rain or at night.

Take a look at the infestation!

My friend said I could still use the rice after washing but I don't think the image of maggots crawling around would be able to escape me if I decide to cook the rice and have it with my family. So I did what I needed to do; throw it down the rubbish chute! 

No comments:

Post a Comment