Sunday, November 15, 2020

Nasi Ambeng (Deluxe Set for 2) from Coba Coba @ Yishun [Singapore] #cobacoba

Nasi Padang is like the Malay equivalence for the Chinese mixed vegetables rice and nasi ambeng, with origins from Indonesia, is similar but takes it a step further by serving the food in a large plate to be shared with a few people. 

Coba Coba had opened for business for quite a few years and although it's near my parents' place and I had noticed its use of wooden furniture and artifacts to portray the 60s ambience (including an Indonesian trishaw); my first visit was last month! 

While you can order the nasi padang way (whereby you choose the dishes of your choice), lazy me opted for the pre-determined sets instead. There are options like classic and deluxe; I was impressed with the classic I had the first time and for this visit with my parents, it shall be the pricier deluxe then.

The positioning of food on a platter always looked so appetising! 

So what do we have for the deluxe? The translated dishes included white rice (nasi putih), sambal sotong (chilli calamari), beef rendang, chicken curry (atam kalio), chilli brinjal (sambal terung), sambal with shredded coconut meat (serunding), potato patty (begedil), green chilli prawns (udang balado hijau), chillied egg (telur belado), dried fish (ikan kering), fried chilli, beef lung (paru), steamed vegetables (urap), anchovies and peanuts in chilli (sambal kacang ikan bilis) and spicy chilli (sambal gila)

As there were so many dishes, there are bound to be some I like and those that definitely can be improved. I personally think that the dried fish can be replaced, the curry could be thickened and that the beansprouts were undercooked. Other than that, the spicy chilli (gila means mad by the way) was way too hot for me! 

The rest were not bad; cuttlefish was surprisingly soft even though it was a bit bland. Rendang was delicious, loved the potato patty and I took a special liking for the beef lung which was like jerky that was full of spices! 

Best way to enjoy the dishes would be to eat them with the plain white rice! If you ask me, I thought my first time (classic set for 2) was good enough and should I need to host any Muslim friends, it would definitely be the preferred choice over the deluxe. 

=====

Address
Block 156, Yishun Street 11, 
#01-106, Singapore 760156

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
8.00 am to 7.30 pm

Pricing
Nasi Ambeng (Deluxe for 2) - S$32.90 

No comments:

Post a Comment