Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Queen Street Goreng Pisang (Fried Banana) - 四马路炸香蕉 @ Albert Centre Hawker Centre (Bugis) [Singapore] #albertcentrehawkercentre #vegetarian

Come to think about it, there are actually quite a number of hawker stalls selling Chinese-style goreng pisang in Singapore although in my humble opinion, none could meet the high standard of the legendary lim kee so far. 

This didn't stop me from exploring further and today, I am going to review the Queen Street Goreng Pisang at Bugis' Albert Centre Hawker Centre. As I do visit the famous guanyin temple at Bugis from time to time, I am aware of this stall and had in fact tried the fried bananas a long time ago. 

As with goreng pisang stalls nowadays, they no longer just concentrate on fried bananas. You can also find fried sweet potato, green bean, tapioca, yam, durian etc. I am traditional; the fried banana is always top on the list. 

Fried Banana - batter is crusty and quite thin; you could almost see the banana hidden within! This would appeal to those who dislike having too much batter (flour). For me, it's a mixed feeling as it's the batter that enhances the flavour of having just banana and if it's too thin; I think I am better off eating banana that's freshly peeled. 


Price varies for the banana, ranging from S$1.00 to S$2.50, depending on the size and the one I had would fall in the mid-range as it cost S$1.50. Taste wise, it's sweet with a mushy texture; sure didn't disappoint although price wise, still a bit pricier than the
toa payoh's one.  

2-in-1
- at first look, it's hard not to mistaken this as fried sweet potato. 

Especially with the above thickness, but this was a version of the popular 3-in-1 which commonly featured near year cake (nian gao) sandwiched with sweet potato and yam. Why was it named as 2-in-1 then? Because its main ingredients are just sweet potato and new year cake! 

While the texture of the sweet potato was too hard for my liking and lacked the sweetness, it was a different story for the nian gao in the middle; mochi like with a soft, melty texture that didn't stick to my teeth. 

=====

Address
271 Queen Street, 
#01-46, Albert Centre Food Centre,
Singapore 180271

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Fried Banana - S$1.50
2-in-1 - S$1.20 

No comments:

Post a Comment