Thursday, August 01, 2024

Fa Ji Noodle (发记老碗面) - Signature Biangbiang Noodles @ Northpoint City Mall in Yishun [Malaysia]

I self-professed to be a navigational expert for Northpoint City Mall, and when my sister suggested having lunch at Fa Ji Noodle; I was adamant there's no such eatery, only to be proven, embarrassingly, wrong via Google Map!

To be fair, it was at a hidden corner on the ground floor of the shopping centre and I did remember that the shop that it took over from was Maki-San, which had moved over to the basement 2 level as a takeaway outlet.

Serving China (Shaanxi) cuisine in a small premises with a Google review rating score of 4.6 from over 50 reviewers, the one thing that caught my eye was their noodle dish called biang biang noodle. Funny sounding aside, do you know it's one of the most difficult Chinese characters to write, with 58 strokes?! So difficult, my computer doesn't even recognize it! 

Scan to order but I would recommend getting a physical menu to look through before you order. Honestly, this scan to order initiative isn't "friendly" for the older generation as the screen size on our phone can be so straining to eyes affected by presbyopia. 

Self service seasoning counter - don't expect the variety from Haidilao; it's literally just cut chilli, soy sauce, vinegar and chilli oil. I am happy to go with just the original seasoning as part of the dishes! Let's begin with our weekend lunch.

Tofu Stuffed with Soymilk - with a thumbs-up, and two chilli on the physical menu, it's literally challenging me to order! And so, I did.

While I was expecting the insides to burst (they didn't), what really impressed me were the super soft and smooth tofu that contrasted with the thin, crisp shell that managed to hold in the tofu so well! Sprinkled with a special mix of spicy and peppery seasoning, I was literally eating them like snacks! 

Fried Potato and Mushrooms - another thumbs-up dish, you can imagine how bewildered my expression was when this was served. Large pieces of potato and what appeared to be large pieces of dried duck meat; visually unappetizing.

For someone who dislikes potatoes, these nuggets of fried potato were like a larger version of French fries and the only thing lacking for me would be Kimball Thai chilli sauce! Seasoning was similar to Tofu Stuffed with Soymilk and the mushrooms (the dried duck meat lookalike) had that intense, earthly flavor that I couldn't resist! 

All In One Biangbiang Noodles - signature for the restaurant that came in three versions, which were in fact just more and more toppings! To be frank, the picture on the menu for my five-topping biang biang noodles appeared a lot more generous. 

Shaped like a belt, long and wider than your conventional noodle, they were said to be handmade and known to be staple for workers who lacked the time to make thinner noodles! p.s. you do have the options for wide or narrow noodle and for the sake of tasting something unique, I would go for the typical thickness; wide! 

Once mixed up, my first impression was its savory delicious flavor. While a tad spicy, it's addictive to tackle the thick noodles and I secured satisfaction in slurping them down my throat! Only thing was that I could hardly differentiate the toppings like potato, tomato eggs, cucumber, meat as everything was just lumped as one. Maybe I would go for the less topping, cheaper option next time.

Chinese Hamburger - this was just S$1 so long you have a main dish! I have had roujiamo (known as Chinese hamburgers) twice before and I am going to be totally frank; I like western hamburgers better. Nevertheless, I am not going to give up this S$1 top up deal! 

To me, roujiamo is like a pastry bun filled with meat but the problem was, I didn't like the texture as the dough was dense and chewy. Please give me a burger from Woodfire anytime, or even a large bao from those dim sum takeaway stalls. 

=====

Would I be back? Strangely, the biangbiang noodles really appealed to my taste buds and I would love to re-order the Tofu Stuffed with Soymilk and Fried Potato and Mushrooms! Alex actually enjoyed the latter! 

Address
930 Yishun Ave 2, 
Singapore 769098

Map
As above.

Menu
As above. 

Pricing
Tofu Stuffed with Soymilk - S$5.30
Fried Potato and Mushrooms - S$6.80
All In One Biangbiang Noodles - S$13.80
Chinese Hamburger - S$1.00
(Subject to GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment