Friday, August 23, 2024

Dickson Nasi Lemak @ Icon Village in Tanjong Pagar [Singapore]

Every few months, I would accompany my mom to Fook Tet Soo Hakka Temple, and it's inevitable that I shall take this opportunity to explore new eateries around the Tanjong Pagar area since the co-giver of my life (other being my dad) is also a foodie! 

In our most recent visit, we walked past Icon Village and chanced upon Dickson Nasi Lemak, which kind of rang a bell at the back of my mind. Wasn't this the famous eatery from Katong?! p.s. recipe was said to be recreated from as nasi lemak restaurant rated the best in Kuala Lumpur! Would that restaurant be Village Park although that's technically in the neighbouring Petaling Jaya? 

Whatever the case, I was adamant to give this a try and the challenge would be to find seats in the small air-conditioned area. I personally think they could possibly add on more tables and chairs in the outdoor space. 

Ordered at the counter and patiently waiting for the pager to ring! I must admit that it's pricey for nasi lemak, with the cheapest, with meat, costing S$8.80, but you have to keep it mind that it's nett. Honestly, The Coconut Club was even more expensive; albeit ambience was a lot nicer and it has a michelin bib gourmand award. 

Wait time was only about six minutes and it's time to collect our Ayam Goreng Berempah (Chicken Leg) nasi lemak set (including a drink) and Chicken Rendang nasi lemak! 

Iced Kopi - my not bad tasting morning beverage even though I did find it a bit watery. Maybe the ice melted rapidly while I was taking photographs.

Ayam Goreng Berempah (Chicken Leg) - all nasi lemak comes with coconut rice, fried egg, cucumber, anchovies and peanuts and specifically for this, a spiced fried whole chicken leg, and sambal chilli.

Juiciness abound for the chicken and the crisp skin was permeated with the iconic berempah (herbs and spices) and while nice, was a tad salty and not as memorable as the chicken at Village Park! What impressed me more was their coconut rice.

Infused with the rich aroma of coconut milk, the rice wasn't overly wet and complemented the crunchy peanuts and the sambal chilli! Speaking of sambal chilli, it was more like a paste, and featured the spicy sweetness I enjoyed, and I loved it even more with the addition of onions for extra texture! 

Interestingly, I actually found the portion of the rice to be too little, and could definitely do with more rice! That's surprisingly coming from a guy who is always on a carbo / starch restricted diet.

Chicken Rendang - visually, I think it was dampened my appetite to have the meat served in a plastic container that looked like it just came out from a microwave, and mind you; this cost S$9.50. To be fair, there were substantial pieces of meat in there.

I have eaten rendang before but never had I have one that featured such an intense lemongrass flavor! For a lemongrass lover, this was something I can definitely accept. What I can't accept was the spiciness! 

=====

Would I be back? I figured I might although I might baulk at the pricing since I could get something similar across the causeway for a fraction of the price, and there are so many eateries in Tanjong Pagar that I have yet to try! 

Address
12 Gopeng St, #01-89/90, 
Icon Village, Singapore 078877

Map
As above. 

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Ayam Goreng Berempah (Chicken Leg) Set - S$12.50
Chicken Rendang - S$9.50
(NETT)

No comments:

Post a Comment