Sunday, August 04, 2024

Old World Bakuteh & Fried Porridge - Now Renamed as Old Hokkien and Moved to Yishun Block 101 @ Chong Pang [Singapore]

I am no stranger to Old World Bakuteh & Fried Porridge; aside from blogging it no less than three times, it has also moved four times within the span of four years! 

Although the stall continued to be in Yishun (thank god), the third move was in such an obscure area; I have only been there once! Nevertheless, it is now back to near where I stay, in Chong Pang, and with a brand new name; Old Hokkien! 

Menu has expanded since the first time I patronized the stall at Block 747 but being a rather regular customer, I am aware what are the must-orders! p.s. I did order something extra as I am worried my simple meal would be insufficient to fill me up.

Mixed Pig's Organ Soup - special order here since I am not into internal organs and requested to exchange with pork balls and sliced pork. 

Soup was peppery although it's not the same as their bak kut teh; instead, there was a deeper savoriness further enhanced by the salted vegetables. Sliced pork had a tough texture and this would be a mental note to remind myself to go for the cheaper pork ball soup instead. Pork balls were better tasting even though still not a match with the epic ones from Cheng Mun Chee Kee.

Seafood Fried Porridge - Old World didn't impress me with their bak kut teh and the dish that endeared me was their fried porridge, which literally blew me out of town! However, we decided to go for a new version; seafood instead of their original sliced pork. 

Featuring the same intensely rich wok-hei for the porridge, the sad thing was that the seafood, including sliced fish, prawns and squids, wasn't a taste match. I could have just eaten them separately as the seafood didn't make a difference.

Pork Lard Rice with Fried Egg - ever since I had this almost one year ago when the stall was at block 732, it replaced fried porridge as my favorite dish to order at Old World! 

Priced higher at S$2.50 a bowl now, it had gone through an upgrade with even more crispy pork lards hidden beneath the fried egg! Trust me, it was an orgasmic moment for those who enjoy having crispy pork lards! 

Incredibly yummy and sinfully delicious, it was spoonful after spoonful of utter satisfaction! Perfect combination with rice drenched with dark soy sauce, sprinkled with chopped spring onions and shallots, and topped with large pieces of pork greaves and an egg! Okay, maybe not so perfect as I would have prefer a fried egg with a gooey yolk.

=====

Super happy that the stall has moved closer to my place and to tell you the truth, the photographs taken for this post was from my second visit! I think I am going to patronize the stall very frequently!

p.s. do you know that the stall has a pay it forward scheme, which allows diners to pay for meals for those less-fortunate, who might not have money to fill their tummies? 

Address
Block 101, Yishun Ave 5, 
#01-55, Kimly Coffeeshop,
Singapore 760101

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Mixed Pig's Organ Soup - S$4.50
Seafood Fried Porridge - S$6.80
Add Raw Egg - S$0.70
Pork Lard Rice with Fried Egg - S$2.50 
(NETT)

No comments:

Post a Comment