Saturday, November 05, 2022

The Famous Soi 19 Wanton Mee - Now Moved to Soi 15 @ Bangkok [Thailand]

Soi 19 wanton mee in Bangkok was an eatery I strongly recommended after my first visit back in 2015 but I have yet to revisit since then given that there are so many food options in the capital city of Thailand, and I am not particularly a fan of the pratunam area. 

In my July 2022 Bangkok visit, I happened to be in the area though and was attracted by the banner with Chinese characters. Oh, it appeared that the wanton mee has now shifted from soi 19 to soi 15; a location that is easier to see given that it faces the main Phetchaburi Road.

Most importantly, no queue! Given that both Alex and I were impressed with the noodles in 2015; we decided to give it a try although our tummy were still digesting our earlier meal at Polo Fried Chicken

Not many people inside too and we managed to secure a table quickly! 

The simple menu for the dishes; in the past, I don't remember they have a soup version for the wanton mee and back then, there were two options for the noodles; either regular or special. While the pork trotter rice is popular, both Alex and I don't fancy pork trotters. 

Chrysanthemum Drink - important, thirst quenching beverage for the hot weather although a tad expensive at 30 baht for such a small bottle. Many people would go for the Thai milk tea but I am the rare few individuals who didn't like the sweetness and prefer our local teh tarik instead. 

Wanton Mee - It looked the same as per my memory even though we did feel that the crab meat was a tad lesser than before. With the ongoing inflation, I empathized, especially since the price of this was the same as the wanton mee special I had back in 2015

Unfortunately, as far as taste is concerned, it was a major letdown. Wanton had a floury aftertaste; char siew was the lean, tasteless type, but the biggest disappointment was the noodle! It was dry and lacked flavor; so much so that the Soi 19 copycats in Singapore were comparatively better! 

Only the crispy pork lards appealed to us! p.s. we still managed to clean up everything as the portion was honestly not much, and I generally don't like to waste food. 

Maybe I should have utilized the above to enhance the flavor. I was just commenting to my friends that I dislike deconstructed food. At the very least, the basic dish in its original form must command a certain level of quality (taste etc) before asking diners to enhance it. 

======

Address
465 2 Phetchaburi Rd, Thanon Phaya Thai, 
Ratchathewi, Bangkok 10400, Thailand

Map
As above. 

Operating Hours
9.00 am to 4.00 pm

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Chrysanthemum Drink - 30 Baht
Wanton Mee - 100 Baht 


No comments:

Post a Comment