Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Ting Ting Restaurant (津津生魚米粉) @ Muar in Johor [Malaysia]

Our
day trip to Muar and Batu Pahat covered lunch and dinner and for the former; we were brought to Ting Ting Restaurant, which was said to be famous for their fish bee hoon soup. 

It has both indoor and outdoor seating but knowing Singaporeans are generally renowned for being air-conditioning lovers; the indoors we shall proceed to! 

As our contingent was 29-strong, we were even given a private room with three tables! Numbers do matter sometimes and we do need it as the noise we made was deafening, and would likely disturb the other diners. Imagine numerous chants of yam seng for lunch.

The supply of beer was guaranteed too! 
Let's continue with the main stars; food.

First up was the Prosperity Cake; yes, once again since we were already given some when we cleared the Malaysian custom. It's not bad (denser texture than the morning one) but not when you are having it for the second time on the same day.

Fish Bee Hoon Soup - cooked in a large earthen pot, I must say my expectation skyrocketed as this was said to be the signature dish for the restaurant.

Normal in my opinion; soup wasn't particularly memorable and it was strange to bite into the sour plum that was cooked together. I think the fish soup I had at Chong Pang Hawker Centre (which I have yet to blog about) was better.

Steamed Fish - please don't ask me what species as I am terrible at differentiating them, except for maybe pomfret. It was freshwater though as I can still discern the slight muddy flavor. To up the palatability, the chef  added a ton of tasty fried garlic! 

Tofu with Minced Meat
- while the tofu was nice and smooth, credit was given to the minced meat sauce which was a perfect companion for plain, white rice! 

Salt Baked Chicken - surprisingly delicious; the meat was juicy and chicken skin was thin without much fats. If not for the fact that I had nine other people sharing the food; I could easily had one whole chicken for myself. Okay, maybe half as I am greedy for other dishes too.

Cereal Prawns - the picture did the prawns justice; they were pathetically tiny. However, good things sometimes do come in smaller packages. Meat was fresh, batter wasn't cloyingly oily and the cereal flavor wasn't weak. Having typed that, Restoran Uncle Pou Wok @ Mount Austin was better. 

Mixed Vegetables - I don't know what's the name of this dish although I did sum it up quite well as it's truly a mixture. There were broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, green pepper, scallops, mushroom, pork, baby corn, prawns etc. Normal.

Oyster Omelette - I am particular when it comes to oyster omelette as it has to be exceptionally good in order to differentiate from a cheaper furong omelette. This was better off as a simple omelette without oysters. 

Braised Pork Trotters - My apology for forgetting to take a dedicated photo of the pork trotters even though I do have my reason; I don't eat pork trotter. Whatever the case, I do need some greenies and the xiao bai cai was fresh and crunchy!

Ending our meal with fruits; sliced guava with preserved orange peel. I actually blogged about the recipe of this healthy snack and you may find it here

Burp! 

=====

Address
Batu 3, Jalan Bakri, 
Kampung Parit Keroma Darat, 
84000 Muar, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above. 

Name Card (For Reservation)
As above.

Limited Menu
As above. 


No comments:

Post a Comment