Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Polo Fried Chicken - Michelin Bib Gourmand @ Bangkok [Thailand] #michelin

Give my great love for deep fried chicken, it's an embarrassment for me to take so long to check out polo fried chicken at
Bangkok! I am aware of it for more than ten years ago and finally decided to grab down in my recent visit.

Strange thing was; despite the eye catching signboard, what I saw in front of me appeared to be a kitchen, with no seating area and customers were waiting just for takeaway. Well, I remember it was a sit-down eatery. 

Turned out the air-conditioned (it was cold) restaurant was a few doors away, nearer to the main road. With no signboard, I had assumed this was another dining establishment and was wondering why the GRAB driver decided to drop us there instead.

By the way, this was a Michelin Bib Gourmand eatery! Now that the Michelin Guide is in quite a few countries in Southeast Asia (next being Malaysia), we are in for a wide array of good food to try within a few hours flight from Singapore! 

Cutleries with plastic; this pandemic has definitely scaled back efforts on reducing plastic waste. Anyway, you would see me drinking plain water nowadays. In a way, cheaper and of course, likely healthier than the many sugary drinks available for ordering.

Reaching before 11.00am was a great choice; not many customers and our orders of half fried chicken and grilled pork neck came in less than 10 minutes! p.s. there were many items on the menu but we decided to pace out as it would be a food-filled day.

Two types of chilli; my preference was the lighter one which was similar to my favorite Kimball Thai chilli, albeit more watery with spreads of vinegar. 

Half Fried Chicken - guess what was my first thought when I saw the fried chicken placed on the table. The exact sentence that went through was "this is fried chicken?" It didn't have the desirable fried chicken batter and I was wondering if it was roasted, instead of fried. 

The next few thoughts were on the generous amount of fried bits on top. I took a bite and they were deep fried garlic! Bursting with flavor, they complemented the chicken perfectly and I must say their role in this dish was as important as the chicken.

Finally on the chicken; it had a thin, crisp skin that I enjoyed although I thought a thicker skin / batter would have made it even nicer. Meat wise; some parts were hard and some were juicy, and not deeply marinated, if any at all. 

Grilled Pork Neck - this came recommended by the Great Kon! It had a chewy texture with a smoky flavor similar to char siew, yet without the sweetness. I can't say I love it more than char siew though.

To enhance the taste, dip the neck into the saucer of pickled chili! 

=====

A satisfying meal even though I was expecting a different kind of fried chicken. Nevertheless, the chicken was still quite good tasting, especially with the help of the sprinklers of fried garlic and the chilli. 

Address
137/1-3,9 10 Sanam Khli Alley, Lumphini, 
Pathum Wan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand

Map
As above.

Menu 
As above.

Pricing
Half Fried Chicken - 130 Baht
Grilled Pork Neck - 100 Baht
Bottled Water - 20 Baht
Steamed Rice - 10 Baht


No comments:

Post a Comment