Friday, November 11, 2022

Souvenir Shop next to Nam Thien Temple @ Muar in Johor [Malaysia]

While temples can be intriguing, I was charmed by a building beside Nam Thien Temple in my day tour to the Muar and Batu Pahat districts in Malaysia, which made me feel like I was in Taiwan, rather than Malaysia.

The dated tiles on the building, the light breeze shaking the leaves of the majestic trees, the bamboo furniture on the artificial lawn. the red lanterns that were hung up - maybe all the aforementioned resulted in an atmosphere that brought me back to my visit to Taiwan back in 2014

There was a shop where you can get drinks and snacks and just chill out in the relaxing environment. My understanding is that this building was new, despite its outlook and before the large fire that almost destroyed the neighboring famous temple; the place was chockablock full of mobile stalls.

土产店 - the three words caught my attention and for someone who loves to check out local food like snacks and biscuits; I had to step in!

Spanning two small shop spaces; layout was basic yet tidy enough to see what's available. Sampling was available for some products; a key motivating factor for me to buy! 

No sampling for this cassava chips (flavors like mushroom, carrot, pumpkin, dhal) but at RM 6.00 (less than S$2.00), I decided to purchase a few bags! Turned out to be quite nice although a tad too bland; on a positive note, it seemed healthier! 

Other stuff, including apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and even local honey; things that would appeal to my mom than I. Pity she only had only about five minutes to browse as the coach would be leaving soon.

Attraction for me was the chicken biscuit! Until my trip to China, I didn't know chicken biscuit had pork (yes, not chicken) and the ones I had in Malaysia thus far didn't have any meat. This shop had the meat version and given that borders at China are still not fully open; I got a few packs to indulge! p.s. good enough for me even though I prefer the China version which had more fats! 

=====

Address
Jalan Dato Koh Thian Peng, Parit Unas, 
Johor, 84150 Muar, Malaysia

Map
As above. Shop is next to the temple.


No comments:

Post a Comment