Sunday, November 13, 2022

Jek Pui Curry - Dining without a Table @ Bangkok Chinatown [Thailand]

It's rare for me to start a post with directions but I had to do it as the location of this eatery can be tricky even though it's less than 300 meters from Wat Mangkon MRT station in
Bangkok

Let's make another turn here. The name Jek Pui sounds a lot like "eat fat" in Hokkien and I have been wanting to check it out for the past few years, ever since it was featured on a travel programme in Singapore. 

Okay, there appeared to be an ongoing food distribution. I looked around and there didn't appear to have any other eateries. Did I get the directions wrong or something?

Oh wait; I had arrived! Main reason why I was so sure? The appearance of their signature red, plastic stools where hungry diners were digging into their plates of curry rice!  

Frankly, I am worried that Alex would force me to eat at another place since the environment didn't seem sanitary, it was hot and humid, uncomfortable to eat without a table, and depending on where you sit; you could be at risk of being hit by a motor vehicle. 

Thank god he was feeling adventurous that day! For those who didn't know how to eat without a table, you may consider doing the above; take another stool and transform it into a table. However, do be considerate; don't do it when people are looking around for seats. 

Containers of ingredients; no English menu but the order taker can converse in basic Chinese to let you know what's available. Pretty basic menu with just chicken curry, beef curry and fish curry that day, with options for sausage and braised eggs. 

Those who have been following my blog would know I did attempt to visit Jek Pui Curry on Day Three but it had not opened for business! So do note that they would only start from 3.00 pm! 

What I did realize was that many people would request for takeaways and there were grab drivers that continuously stopped over to collect food; testament of its popularity among the locals. 

Our Green Curry Chicken Rice and Red Curry Beef Rice, topped with sausages and braised egg, and cost us 120 baht (about S$4.60). Visually, these would be something we can easily get from our economy rice stalls in Singapore.  

Taste wise, they were delicious; the gravy was rich and I can literally have the gravy with just rice, and that would have been equally satisfying! Both chicken and beef have soaked in the deliciousness of the curry and were tender; green curry was spicier though and in my opinion, more shiok for the palate. 

Sausage tasted like the harder form of Cantonese lup cheong yet with a flavor more similar to Taiwanese sausage. My first time eating coagulated pork's blood; didn't understand why people crave for it. What I found more fascinating was the braised egg; while the texture was hard, the yolk had such an intense eggy flavor that I wondered if it was duck egg! 

I felt so guilty as I seldom had so much rice; further exacerbated given I already had so much food before this meal! With peals of sweat rolling down my head, this was an unforgettable experience. Despite the discomfort, I am craving for Jek Pui Curry as I was typing out this post. 

=====

Address
25 Mangkon Rd, Pom Prap, 
Pom Prap Sattru Phai, Bangkok 10100, 
Thailand

Map
As above.

Menu
As above. According to google translate, I think it's basic 40 baht for the curry rice and 10 baht for each stewed egg and another 10 baht for sausage. 


2 comments:

  1. This impression ist really authentic;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. super! some find it unhygienic though. to put things in context, I didn't get the runs. :P

      Delete