Sunday, October 09, 2022

Suasana Lifestyle Suites by Keystone @ Johor Bahru in Johore [Malaysia]

With the borders open, I had already made quite a few trips to our closest neighbor, Malaysia! It's usually just a day visit to Johor Bahru but there was once we decided to stay over and have a good rest before returning to Singapore the next day. 

Finding a hotel was a headache and the ones I wanted, Holiday Villa and Holiday Inn, were beyond my budget. Hence, we eventually settled with Suasana Lifestyle Suites by Keystone! 

Conveniently located opposite Komtar JBCC and right next to Amari Hotel, it's a mixed development with residential floors and a hotel (Susana All Suites) from levels 27 to 33, and connected to Zenith Lifestyle Centre.

Some Singaporeans would be familiar with Zenith Lifestyle Centre as there's a Haidilao outlet there. I love Haidilao but the queue in Singapore can be quite bad during peak hours. Appeared more manageable here in Malaysia; would it be much cheaper too?

Whatever the case, let's check in! 

My accommodation doesn't fall within the hotel wing as it's more a serviced apartment; somewhat like AirBNB although mine was from Agoda.com. I had already 'checked in' via WhatsApp the night before and access details were given on the day of my stay, once the unit was given the "clearance" after housekeeping was completed. 

WhatsApp message informed me to collect the access card from the mailbox room beside the reception desk (which was for the hotel wing). I was also asked to provide a copy of my passport or identification, via WhatsApp, for record purpose. 

Collected the access card after entering the code for Unit 13A-07.

Taking the lift. Unlike most of my reviews for overseas accommodations, I am not starting with the room (serviced apartment in this case) first; rather, let's check out the amenities first. 

Level 33A - the amenities area where you can find the gymnasium, the swimming pool, a cafe and a laundromatt. Despite being a serviced apartment, Suasana Lifestyle Suites wasn't equipped with a washing machine. Not an issue for me since I am only staying one night. 

Another of level 33A in the day time.

Cafe
On the right would be the Suasana Suites Cafe; those who stay in the hotel section would dine at the cafe for their daily breakfast. Given its height, it's granted you would get a good view of JB city skyline. 

Gym
Pretty spacious gym; only thing was the overpowering musty smell. I actually brought along my fitness attire for a 30-minute session but decided to give my body a rest instead.

Rules and regulations for usage.

Pool
The pool area; not big and I think the developer should have made it into an infinity pool given that it was placed so high up! Having those metal barriers (erected for the signage) made the pool look smaller and less instagrammable. 

Tiny water playground for the kids.

Maintenance can be improved; it's unwelcoming to have dirty, green concrete blocks with bare, brown soil greeting the guests. I have less expectations as a serviced apartment guests but these amenities were also for hotel guests, who paid higher for their stays. 

No lifeguard on duty.
And other rules and regulations. 

Laundromat
I am unsure how to use the machines and there were a lot of guesswork here. Is it RM 5.00 per wash / dry for 10 kilograms? My issue was more with what options to use for the temperature! The washer / dryer I used at Grande Centre Point Ratchadamri in Bangkok actually damaged some of my clothes.

I think the washing machines utilized the laundry capsules from the Soluball brand. RM 46.00 for 30 capsules seemed reasonable I thought. Take my words with a pinch of salt as I am still a traditional laundry detergent user. 

View at the laundromat was better than the pool! 

Serviced Apartment
Finally, time to explore the serviced apartment at unit 13A-07. Corridor was bare but bright. There were a few units we walked past although we didn't bump into anyone.

Hmmm... an access card and a passcode for the digital lock? Access card was necessary to get into the lift and press the button for the lift whereas access to the apartment would be separate via the input of a passcode, which was already indicated in information sent via WhatsApp.

Stepping into the spacious living room cum kitchen! 
I think I can totally make do with a studio apartment in the future! 

Kitchen included a small sink, an induction stove, an electric kettle, a decent-sized fridge (stocked with two bottles of drinking water) and even a microwave oven. Having so many cabinets were a waste though, unless the plan was to stay for long term. 

Cutleries and crockery in the drawers.

The so-called balcony was more a standing space for you to take a smoking break; absolutely no way you can put chairs other than maybe bar stools. 

Balcony of Unit 13A-07 faced Komtar JBCC and also Johor Bahru Checkpoint. Road below would be Jalan Wong Ah Fook; which I have to cross whenever I need to grab breakfast near or along Tan Hiok Nee Heritage Street.

Bedroom; not much complaint except for one thing. The towels provided were thinner than the ones I have at home! I think I have reached the age when comfort prevails over price. 

Iron, ironing board, hair dryer and in-room safe can be found in the wardrobe. My sleep on the bed was actually quite good; maybe also because I had a fantastic back and shoulder massage earlier at KSL.

Bathroom with rainfall shower. Water marks on the glass panels were somewhat excusable but have you noticed something that was visually shocking?

Cupboard's laminate in the bathroom had peeled off, revealing the chipboard within! This was utterly unacceptable! 

Reasons why I want to talk about the room last was because there were a number of glaring issues; making this one of the worst accommodations I have ever gotten myself into. p.s. this control panel was like useless as there wasn't a CCTV, no door check etc.

Ants crawling into the electric kettle. 
We brought coffee powder and no, we didn't waste it. 

Bugs and coarse sand-like stuff in the drawer.

Aside from the laminate in the bathroom, this unsightly stain on the sofa was an immediately noticeable issue. I know this is a serviced apartment, not a hotel. However, I was honestly appalled by what I encountered at Suasana Lifestyle Suites by Keystone.

=====

Address
82C, Jalan Trus, Bandar Johor Bahru, 
80000 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above.

Pricing
Double Suite - S$63.80 
(Via Agoda.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment