Monday, June 13, 2022

Day Trip to Johore Bahru [Malaysia]

Friday, 10 June 2022 - I am on leave after a horrendous two weeks at work but instead of recuperating at home; I was already out at 7.30 am. It shall be a special day.

One that required me to drop at Kranji MRT Station; something I have not done for more than two years. No prize for the right answer but people who know me would know I am not into horse racing.

People drop at the station for two things; to either visit the nearby Singapore Turf Club (where one can indulge in betting on horse racing) or join the queue to take a bus. Bus to where? The Woodlands Checkpoint

Yes, I am going to step into Malaysia after a hiatus of more than two years; no thanks to COVID-19! Immigration clearance was speedy with the automated machines and the line to take the bus from Woodlands Checkpoint to the CIQ complex in Johor Bahru (JB).

My sister was eating her sweet potato, which was a befuddling action. Shouldn't we save our stomach space and go all out when we are in JB?! Anyway, her stomach, not mine.

After seeing all the postings on hours-long queue at CIQ, I was extremely happy to see the above. The longest queue was at most 10-person long. Maybe it helped to go a weekday and slightly earlier in the morning. 

The same can't be said for the cars lining up to go into Malaysia from Singapore though. I don't have the patience for queuing and would sometimes, walk across the causeway when the bus queue was too long.

A sight I have missed for two years; the road in between CIQ and KOMTAR JBCC shopping mall and City Square shopping centre. It used to be a lot more crowded. 

This stretch along Jalan Wong Ah Fook had finally unveiled its new look! Two years ago, renovations were ongoing and to think the authorities had widen the pedestrian walkway and beautified the surroundings.

I bet this would be one of the top instagrammable spots in JB soon. Artistic and gave me the feel of being in South Korea although the weather would be a giveaway that we are in the tropics. 

There were fishes in the 'drain'! 

Favorite among the kids; a ride on the see saw is a must-do! Alex and I had a go too as it had been so long since we embarked on childish activities! 

What do you make out of this? For the simple mind I had, I am assuming this was a swan carrying a star. Its significance is lost on me; I should pay attention to the information panels.

Random photos! 

Pathway leading to the iconic Sultan Ibrahim Building, which is used for government purposes although there were plans to convert it into a museum.

Our first destination; Jalan Tan Hiok Nee. Frequent travellers might not know of this road but I guarantee they would know of this Hiap Joo bakery, which served delicious banana cake, along Jalan Tan Hiok Nee.

My breakfast; traditional toast and coffee from Restoran Roast & Coffee! I know most people would go for Hua Mui but it was too crowded and honestly, I don't mind reviewing a new establishment that has yet to appear in this blog! 

After a RM10 GRAB ride, we arrived at The Mall, Mid Valley Southkey. This shopping centre had a soft opening just before COVID-19 hit and I finally got to check it out! In summary, the layout was similar to the original Mid Valley in Kuala Lumpur.

Lunch at Palsaik Korean BBQ, where we pampered ourselves with eight different types of pork belly marination; from the normal garlic to the interesting curry and the luxurious ginseng! Click here for my review! 

I can spend the whole day at Mid Valley Southkey but I needed to change my phone's screen protector and have a much needed body massage. So, another GRAB ride! 

Destination: KSL CITY Mall! I was so afraid that many shops would be closed as the shopping centre was popular with Singaporeans and it's been a long two years of border closure.

My sister strongly recommends Fat Boy (LG floor) for services like phone repair, changes to screen protectors. Pricing was reasonable and for my good quality privacy screen protector, I paid just RM 30. In Singapore, S$10 would likely just get me a normal screen protector. 

Body massage at Thai Odyssey! As mentioned earlier, my two weeks at work were lousy and I badly needed a good massage to relax; hence, I didn't mind paying the more expensive pricing of RM128 (before taxes) at Thai Odyssey. The masseur assigned to me, Ms Jum, was amazing! p.s. she is Thai, doesn't speak English but is conversant in Mandarin! 

It started pouring when I was in the midst of the massage. But dinner beckoned and I already had something in mind. Therefore, another GRAB ride; this time to a place not too far away, yet it cost us RM 9.00.

Warakuya Japanese Restaurant - I knew of this eatery for a long time even though this would be very my first visit. First thing that blew my mind away; the menu was incredibly extensive and it's hard making a decision with so many choices! 

Another mind-blowing moment; we ordered quite a bit and total bill came out to be less than S$50. Just for reference, the above Tempura Cha Zaru Soba had a price tag of RM 24.90. In Singapore, this would be at least S$20.00.

Actually wanted to share about this 99 Speedmart. Those who are into Old Town 3-in-1 coffee can consider buying from the supermarket as pricing was the cheapest so far at RM 13.95.

GRAB ride to City Square shopping centre; unlike the rest of the shopping malls we visited that day, there was a noticeable drop in human traffic at City Square, which was easily the most popular among Singaporeans as it's the closest to CIQ.

Time for us to cross the bridge to CIQ too.

Going to JB for a day trip was definitely a good decision as I had an absolutely amazing time doing stuff that relaxed both my body and mind. Looking forward to returning soon! 

=====

Pending Postings for the Day Trip

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:02 AM

    Hi, may I know where did u purchase the sim card to get the grab for msia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! My sister has roaming so she helped to book. If not, i believe u can purchase sim cards from the numerous telecom counters at city square mall or the building in between the checkpoint and city square.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:32 AM

    teehee

    ReplyDelete