Saturday, October 01, 2022

Banh Mi Saigon @ Ang Mo Kio Block 505 in Singapore

Banh Mi appeared to be all the rage in Singapore nowadays, or maybe it's just me since my social media feed has been regularly suggesting postings related to the Vietnamese baguette! 

I was feeling down a few weeks ago and cycled all the way to Bishan- Ang Mo Kio area. Recalling the recommendations from the Great Kon (and also social media) of a banh mi stall in Ang Mo Kio, I decided to check it out; Banh Mi Saigon.

Located at the corner on the ground level of a HDB block that's opposite Nanyang Polytechnic, I can understand why people said it's a hidden gem as the place is not noticeable from the main roads. And at first glance, I thought it was a supermarket! 

Menu, which seemed out of place in Singapore where English is the main mode of communication, although I believe the operators did try their best to provide some translation for the local populace.

Honestly, I didn't understand the notice on top, at the point of ordering. It's clearer now and the number corresponded to the number on the menu; if you prefer something sweeter, go for dishes no 5, 6, 8 and 14. 

With so many ingredients on display (yes, there were pig ears), I didn't have an idea what I should have. And it's not as if I can choose what I want, like in Subway. So, I just went with the safest no 1 on the menu; Banh Mi Thit which had cold cut and pork ham. 

My eyes couldn't stop looking at these beautiful baguettes behind the glass. While looks can be deceiving, these had such a golden sheen; I bet the crispness would be unmatched! 

Initially, I assumed Banh Mi Saigon was just a takeaway stall. However, there were some tables, although not many. I was expecting a long queue and I was lucky; just one person queuing in front of me. A few groups were standing around, waiting for their orders though.

Authentic Vietnamese experience; low table with stools! Apparently, such arrangements are normal in Vietnam and many were on the pavements next to roads where dust and smoke are common companions. 

Always glad to see a box of tissues on the table! There was even a reed diffuser and I did wonder why since banh mi doesn't emit strong odor. Oh well, no complaint since no harm anyway. 

My Banh Mi Thit in a paper bag! 

Wait was said to be between 15-35 minutes and mine took about 12 minutes. Do note that the best time for consumption; within 15 minutes but best is now. And they don't cut the baguette into half.

No issue for me since I was alone and didn't intend to share with anyway. I bumped into a chatty, banh-mi-crazy couple from Pasir Ris, Jasmine and Douglas, who was so impressed with Banh Mi Saigon; they bought extras for takeaways after trying on the spot! 

Given what they said, my expectations rose a few notches! One thing I noted after collecting my banh mi; I can totally feel the crispiness of the baguette! For a person who loves crispy stuff, this would likely be one major highlight.

Sank my teeth in; the constant crunches and the audible mmmms. The texture and thickness of the baguette was perfect for me and as you can see from the above photos, the operator was absolutely generous with the ingredients, some of which I am, embarrassingly, unaware of what they are.

Nevertheless, the combination was great with layers of texture and taste; e.g. savouriness from the meat, freshness from the coriander, crispiness from the bun, sweetness and sourness from the pickled vegetables! 

Down to my last morsel. At S$7.90 (cheapest on the menu), it's pricier than other banh mi stalls I tried before, which usually cost about S$6.00 depending on ingredients, but you do get more meat at Banh Mi Saigon. 

=====

Address
Block 505, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, 
#01-2668, Singapore 560505

Map
As above. 

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Banh Mi Thit - S$7.90

No comments:

Post a Comment