Sunday, October 16, 2022

Soon Hock Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee and Yuan Yang (Black / White) Carrot Cake @ Wah Yen Coffee Shop [Sin Ming Road, Singapore]

Hai Nan Shan Wanton Noodle was enjoyable for me and since I was cycling with my dad, a self professed noodle lover, this afternoon; we decided to bike all the way there. A distance of about 15 kilometers! 

While searching for some information on Hai Nan Shan Wanton Noodle, I noted that the hokkien mee at its neighboring stall had good reviews too. So, the plan was to let my dad had wanton noodles where my cousin and I would indulge in hokkien mee. 

I wrongly assumed there will be char kway teow and opted for the yuan yang carrot cake instead. For those who are unaware, yuan yang carrot cake actually just means a combination of both black and white carrot cake.

Yuan Yang Carrot Cake - at a minimum of S$6.50 per serving, I thought the pricing was expensive given the portion. In addition, I usually don't go for white carrot cake, which I deemed to be way less tasty. 

There could be some confirmation bias at play here as the white carrot cake, once again, didn't impress; too bland. Black version was much better with a smoky sweetness that could have been enhanced if they were diced up into finer pieces, and topped with an extra egg. 

Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee - visually, this was a letdown; I could only see noodles and hardly any other ingredients except for the dollop of chilli paste and lime.

Surprisingly, this was delicious! The noodles, comprising mainly thick bee hoon, had sufficiently sucked up the thick and flavorful prawn broth; a lime added that twist of sourness that countered yet complemented the sweetness at the same time. Two prawns were found, with a smattering of pork belly.

Would definitely be back for the hokkien mee, although my priority would likely be the Hai Nan Shan Wanton Noodle. The tze char appeared to be popular too as its reserved tables were already occupied at 5.15pm, hardly dinner peak. 

=====

Address
Block 23, Sin Ming Rd, 
Wah Yen Coffee Shop, 
Singapore 570023

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Yuan Yang Carrot Cake - S$6.50
Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee - S$4.50

No comments:

Post a Comment