Saturday, October 08, 2022

No Signboard Seafood 2022 @ Mattar Road [Singapore]

My mom loves crab and every single time I dined at No Signboard with Alex; she would lament that I didn't bring her. Hence, for her birthday meal, we decided to bring her there!

To put things in perspective, Alex is a huge fan of the crabs from No Signboard and he would be the one dragging me there as I am unwilling to pay so much for crab which is extremely pricey in Singapore. I still remember the good, old days when it would cost only about S$40-50 a kilogram.

At the moment, it's S$98 a kilogram, and would raise to S$105 should the crab be 900 grams and above! Personally, I can eat a 1.2-kilogram crab on my own. Although it was indicated that there is no 100% guaranteed solid crab, I guess we were lucky as the past few times we visited, the meat had always been fresh and good. How about the rest of the dishes? 

Seafood Horfun with Gravy - this was a surprise as I assumed it would be our usual plate of hor fun commonly found at tze char stalls, but it turned out be chockful of wok-hei and was so delicious; I intended to have a second helping which wasn't possible as it was already cleaned up by then! 

Signboard Beancurd - nothing signature about the beancurd. However, the accompanying sauce and ingredients surrounding the tofu were the highlights. It's like shark's fin soup, with its thickened consistency with expensive 'liao' like scallop and sea cucumber.

Sambal Kangkong - well-cooked with a punch of flavorful (some would say pungent) spiciness! Spiciness was manageable for me even though I would always recommend having this with plain, white rice. 

Deep Fried Baby Squid - sweet crunchiness with a strong seafood taste and touches of chilli. This dish would usually be requested by my elder sister whenever she sees it on the menu. I thought this would go well with a bottle of iced cold beer!  

Sweet Sour Pork - it had the old, school taste and the pitiful part was the lack of crispness for the floured meat. At the very least, I did enjoy the juicy pineapple cubes. 

White Pepper Crab - first time trying this at No Signboard and it was pretty good with the pepperiness continuing to linger at the tip of my tongue for a few minutes! Honestly, was a tad too hot for me. 

Chilli Crab
- this required no introduction as it's a must-order whenever I visit. Alex, especially, would only go for chilli crab at 
No Signboard as chilli crabs at other restaurants simply couldn't meet his expectation.

It was creamy with plenty of egg and I love the balance of both chilli and tomato, with the sauce not being overly spiciness yet absolutely delicious. My elder sister and brother in law were less impressed though as they had had better ones at Malacca, which I wouldn't be able to compare until I go over and check out the eatery. 

Meat wise, didn't disappoint.
I still baulk at the price though. 

Again, what goes well with good chilli crab sauce? The fried buns! While small, these featured pillow soft insides with a thin crisp shell. Yummy!

Aftermath. 
p.s. Jovyn didn't join as she was unwell.

=====

Address
414 Geylang Rd, 
Singapore 389392

Map
As above.

Pricing
Seafood Horfun with Gravy - S$15.00
Signboard Beancurd - S$30.00
Sambal Kangkong - S$12.00
Sweet Sour Pork - S$20.00
Deep Fried Baby Squid - S$20.00
White Pepper Crab - S$122.00
Chilli Crab - S$123.00
(Subject to GST and Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment