Sunday, October 23, 2022

Arrival of The Reds (Liverpool F.C) @ Bangkok in July 2022

The walk from Grande Centre Point Ratchadamri to Ratchadamri BTS station was just a few hundred meters and in the first few days of our week-long Bangkok trip; nothing particularly stood out as the area has mainly hotels and condominiums. 

Hence, it was a refreshing sight when I saw a crowd surrounding a road that led to two reputable 5-star hotels; Hansar Hotel Bangkok and The St. Regis Bangkok.

To be honest, I didn't know what it was about. Was there some high ranking politician on visit? Or is it some popular girl / boy bands staying in one of the hotels? The main bulk of people were men, and many wore red. Wait, was this a show of support for the red-shirts? 

Whatever the case, my intention was to go to Chinatown and taking the BTS would be more important than finding out who would be coming. I am always curious but life has taught me that we don't need answers for things that don't matter.

Darn; more people blocking my way! 
Good vantage point though. 

There was a sudden commotion and people started whipping out their mobile phones to record; I couldn't resist and took some photographs too, even though I still didn't know who has / have arrived at The St. Regis Bangkok.

Do you know any of them? Just like the Caucasians think that all Asians look the same; I guess for us Asians; the Caucasians look the same as well. I still can't differentiate between Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley.

Same situation at the platform; while further from The St. Regis, the advantage would be elevated view. Any close-up would depend on the capability of your phone / camera.

Since I was waiting for the train, might as well take some photos. At this moment, I gathered this was the designated accommodation for a European football club. According to the widespread use of red among the fans, I am guessing it was Manchester United, also known as the Red Devils.

So wrong; it was actually The Reds, also known as Liverpool, and there were two dedicated buses, with their logo emblazoned, just to ferry the players! Apparently, the team was there for a Liverpool versus Manchester United pre-season match, scheduled to take place on 12 July.

To be fair, I don't watch soccer although I am aware you have more fans of Manchester United in Singapore! I like the anthem of Liverpool though.
"You'll Never Walk Alone".

No comments:

Post a Comment