Sunday, October 16, 2022

Chatuchak Weekend Market in 2022 @ Bangkok [Thailand]

I would make it a point to check out Chatuchak Weekend Market every time I visit Bangkok ands my trip on July 2022 was no exception, even though I went with a curiosity on whether things have changed with the border closure over the past two years.

What did you gather from the above photographs? Taken on an afternoon Saturday, they reflected scenes of much more reduced crowds as compared to pre-pandemic times. It's to be expected as China, Thailand's biggest tourist market, has yet to open up.

Furthermore, the photographs were taken three months earlier and things could have improved by now with more airlines flying to Bangkok and / or with increased capacity. 

Section with the most people just when I was about to leave. Again, I am assuming here that tourists / locals may be avoiding the hot afternoon weather. Or that the coca cola had yet to open for free redemption of their signature beverage. 

Those wondering if stalls were open; my answer would be that I didn't see shuttered businesses alongside the main arterial roads of Chatuchak Weekend Market

Situation was more dire once you walk into the heart of the market. 

Many stalls were closed and it was literally a shadow of its former self; even the once popular clock tower, used as a meeting point, was devoid of customers. I can't help feeling sad as it was so full of buzz in the past but for me, I bet it would recover soon! 

Nevertheless, let's continue with this photo journey! Compared to pre-pandemic, one latest development of concern to fellow Singaporeans would be the decriminalization of cannabis in Thailand; hence, please be mindful of the icon above as the Singapore government can prosecute citizens for taking drugs even when they are overseas

Better to stuff your mouth with delicious Thai food instead! It can be hot to dine within the weekend market; therefore, my recommendation would be to dine at the nearby air-conditioned shopping centre instead; Mixt Chatuchak.

Some of you would be familiar with Chef Fernando and his Spanish paella. Shop was still around although I didn't see sights of the bubbly fellow. 

Another paella shop; setup was similar to Chef Fernando but pricing was slightly higher at 160 baht per serving for its paella. But why would I be having Spanish food in Bangkok!? Leaving my stomach space for authentic Thai food instead.

Shop till you almost drop? There were still massage parlors operating at Chatuchak Weekend Market to help you relax your body before you chiong again! One hour foot-neck-shoulder massage for 250 baht was a pretty good deal. 

Consider those with air-conditioned premises if you are sweating like a pig, like me! Given how much I sweat, I would usually bring along an extra piece of top to change, in case I smell horrible! 

Once again, tempted to get the piggy bank to add to my collection. But there were plenty of stuff I needed to buy for this trip to Bangkok; luggage space would be of utmost importance...

As a boxer wear, I am always on the lookout for cheap boxers at Thailand as I really don't see the point of paying S$8 for a typical piece of innerwear in Singapore. Sadly, inflation had hit hard; in the past, I could secure one piece at just 40 baht; now the price had doubled. 

Even a pair of sunglasses cost cheaper at just 39 baht! Since I don't wear contacts often, these would be useless for me. And even if I buy, chances are I would forget to bring them out.

I remember my first trip to Bangkok, where I had to buy one of these colorful yet jumbo plastic or nylon bags to keep all my shopping! It was hardy and the zip only gave way like 4-5 years later.

Like Singapore, the pandemic had resulted in a higher demand for plants! A friend in Thailand actually managed to earn quite a bit during the lockdown. Anyway, I was more curious about the kiwi or potato thingies at the bottom of the photo.

Turned out that with proper care, typically water and sunlight, it would sprout! Sadly, Singapore is also pretty strict on the import of plants from non-native species. So, I can see, I can touch but I cannot buy.

Airbrush body paint; prices ranged from 100 to 999 baht and can last for 7 days. For a person like me who couldn't decide on a design for a tattoo, this would be a great way for me to try before deciding! 

Nowadays, I would pay slightly higher for hotel stays and sometimes, I would get a room with bathtub. Bubble baths are so for kids; hence, my fascination was more for bath bombs! Prices can be as cheap as 60 baht (less than S$3.00) and can go down to 33 baht for the smaller ones (for feet and hand).

Would you get this? From far, they appeared to be taxidermized specimens of animal heads and would bound to scare young kids who chanced upon them at night! 

Herb Care - I actually bought quite a lot from them; with claims on no animal testing, toxic chemical in their products, prices were reasonable and the service from the above guy was good! 

Seeing this rack of swords reminded me of an incident in Singapore in March this year, where a guy with a Samurai sword was swinging it at passersby and motor vehicles. In Singapore, you can purchase one if you are above 18 years old; however, while "Owning a sword is legal, but using or being in possession of it in public is illegal".

The crocodile praying for good business; frequent visitors to Chatuchak Weekend Market would have noticed its existence even before the pandemic. But have you observed that the shop didn't appear to have many customers?

I have no lack of mugs at home even though I always on the lookout for a big-sized one. Whatever the case, it was again the piggy bank, next to Alex's head, that caught my attention.

A bookstore; I think reading has dropped drastically worldwide. The last time I held a book was a few months ago but I was only about a quarter through. Compared that to about 20 years ago, when I could complete one novel in mere days. 

Random photos on clothes shops! Many nice designs, some of which were nostalgia, but I don't have enough closet space at home! And there were new ones, kept separately, that I have yet to wash and wear! 

Caps and hats of all shapes and sizes! 

I needed a pair of sandals and regretted not paying a closer look at the above stall. Sometimes, you need mood for shopping and at that point of time, I was reeling from heat exhaustion! 

Crockeries; I know of friends who would go overseas and purchase a few pieces for their kitchen at home. For me, it's all about basic usage; design is secondary, and mostly, negligible.

Hm.... the top vessels would be used for what purpose? I always imagine them as being huge urns, to keep human ashes. I believe I am wrong. 

Different types of bags. At my age, comfort and practicality are two most important features when it comes to bags. Usually, you would see me with a big enough padded backpack whenever I travel; mainly to keep and protect my DSLR. 

One reed diffuser for only 20 baht?! 
That's only about 70 cents! 

Air humidifiers with many designs; some even came with remote controls! I purchased one before from Bangkok but aside from a different power plugs, exercising your warranty rights could be tricky, especially for something that cost less than S$30.00.

Closed up photos! 

Is this a Mexico-themed outlet? I guess because of the papel picado, the decorative cut out papers, that I saw before from the animation movie, Coco. Frankly, movies are so important for people to gain knowledge even though there were often cases of misrepresentation too.

Random photos! 

Cushions - for homes like mine whereby black, white and grey are primary colors, cushions would add colors to a boring home. Only issue for me was that I have more than five at home, and their conditions are still okay.

Koh Kae; famous for their peanut coated snacks, I am honestly not a fan and prefer the crispy seaweed snacks from Tao Kae Noi instead. 

More random pictures! I remember one comment from a post on Chatuchak Weekend Market a few years ago whereby I was asked how come I don't seem to buy things from the market. Actually, I do but not much; my aim of visiting was more to soak in the atmosphere and hope I could also see or find something new from this humongous place. 

Furthermore, I am not a shopaholic and have never had an incident whereby I shop till I lose my shoes / sandals! I was obviously amused by this singular sandal lying in the middle of the road. 

Soaking in the atmosphere also meant having my top soaked with sweat! While it would dry up pretty fast, the dried up sweat has the tendency to stain my shirt! Time to change my top! 

Entering and exiting Chatuchak Weekend Market the same way; via Kamphaeng Phet MRT station! In the past, I would take BTS to Mo Chi station but the MRT is much closer; literally to the market's doorsteps. 

=====

Address
สวนจตุจักร Kamphaeng Phet 2 Rd, 
Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900, Thailand

Market Map
As above.


No comments:

Post a Comment