Friday, June 03, 2022

Yean Heng Pancake (炎兴麺煎粿) @ Pek Kio Hawker Centre [Singapore] #pekkiohawkercentre

I first heard of Yean Heng Pancake around ten years ago due to a television show that was talking about local heritage food popular with residents of our little red dot. 

With a history spanning more than half a century, my curiosity was piqued but the few times I visited, Yean Heng Pancake was always sold ou,t and without a car; it's not as convenient to travel to this hawker centre that's also known as Cambridge Hawker Centre. 

This time, I purposely woke up much earlier and arrived before 10.00 am! Full operations for the pancake stall, with three large pancakes, hot and fresh from the pan, right ahead of me. 

While I think they could sell you by that big portion, the modus operandi would be to divide it into smaller pieces for ease of selling as customers typically treat this more as a snack / dessert than as a main meal.  

My order of one coconut pancake and one peanut pancake! The stall is famous for its crispy, rolled pancake but it's only available on weekdays. At 80 cents per slice of pancake, it's also one of the cheapest in Singapore at the moment.

Aside from the affordable pricing, they were pretty generous with the fillings which were also sweeter and henceforth, tastier, even though not necessarily healthier. Personally, I prefer coconut over peanut. Dough wise, I think it's bland with the fillings playing a more important role. 

Eat it while it's hot, when the edges were still crisp! 

=====

Address
41A Cambridge Rd, #01-32,
Pei Kio Market & Food Centre, 
Singapore 211041

Map
As above.

Pricing
Pancake - S$0.80 a slice

No comments:

Post a Comment