Saturday, June 11, 2022

Once Again at Holy Crab - Scorched Vermicelli and & White Pepper Crab in the Arcade @ The Capitol Kempinski in Singapore

The Capitol Theatre is a heritage building that was built in the 1930s and I remember it was a dilapidating structure a few decades ago, without its renowned grandeur from eons ago.

Good thing is that Singapore, in recent years, is concentrating a lot on her history, together with a focus on performing arts. Many old buildings have been conserved, with renovations that put in much needed air-conditioning and modern washrooms.

Arcade @ The Capitol Kempinski; this would likely be a street in ancient times but in modern times; cool air filled the enclosed vicinity that allowed visitors the feel of being outdoor, without Singapore's notorious heat and humidity.

Purpose of my visit today; to Holy Crab once again! This came less than a month after my inaugural visit as I couldn't wait to bring my mom to check it out, given how much she enjoys the crustacean. 

I took the opportunity to explore the eatery, which also came with a "rooftop" section; a nice place for a large group gathering like family and friends. 

For a moment, I was wondering why they selling grab tee-shirt. Turned out it was CRAB, and not GRAB; not sure if this would become a copyright issue. Haha. Anyway, let's start with our food! 

Calamansi Slushy
- this was so memorable in my first visit that it's a guarantee I will order this time round. One word; shiok, especially in the recent heatwave.

CapriCorn - how could we ever forget this enjoyable plate of "lightly battered corn kernels, salted egg yolk and curry leaves"? Mom loves it too! 

Scorched Vermicelli - this was something I almost ordered the last round but knew it would be too much for Alex and I. Hence, I took the opportunity of having my mom around to give it a try!

Let's squeeze the lime! Know also as burnt bee hoon that originated from San Lou restaurant in Malaysia's Johore Bahru, I have to say that the version from Holy Crab appeared a lot more charred from other eateries I have had so far. 

It was delicious; blessed with a strong wok hei, the only issue was that there's a super thin line separating the dish from being inedible given the large, charred crispy surface. For healthy individuals like my parents, this would be best avoided. Pieces of pork ribs added to the sinfulness, which I thought could be replaced with prawns, squids instead.  

White Pepper Crab - with more than ten types to choose from, I decided that my mom shall be the final decision maker, sparing me from the dilemma I always face from having too many choices.

Differing from the white pepper crab at JB Ah Meng Tze Char Restaurant, this was saucier but I prefer the green mumba I had the first time which was unique! The aroma didn't disappoint although the key attraction was still the fresh, luscious crab meat. Crab was 1.2 kilograms but strangely, it felt a bit smaller than the 1 kilogram crab we had previously.

Whatever the case, I am no kitchen scale here. With so much sauce, it would be a waste to have it as decoration. We shall end the meal with fried mantou to soak up the appetizing, slightly spicy sauce! 
 

=====

Address
13 Stamford Rd, #01-85, 
Singapore 178905

Map
As above.

Website

Pricing
Calamansi Slushy  -  S$6.00
CapriCorn - S$16.00
White Pepper Crab - S$90.00 a kilo
Mantou - S$4.00 for five
(Subject to Service Charge and GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment