Wednesday, June 08, 2022

The Ship Restaurant and Bar - Sunday Set Lunch @ Shaw Centre [Singapore]

When it comes to birthday celebrations within my immediate family, the rule of thumb is for a get together over a meal instead of presents, and birthday boy / girl shall decide where to go! 

For my younger sister's recent birthday, she opted for The Ship Restaurant and Bar at Shaw Centre. I am no stranger to this eatery as it has a long reputation, with a branch that was previously at NEX. 

As the name suggests, there were tons of decorations to cultivate a dining experience at sea although to me, it felt relatively old school. Nevertheless, I bet it created a lot of nostalgia moments for regular patrons. 

Despite its obscure location, business was booming! 

We got a table at the far end, where we were blessed with large windows overseeing Claymore Hill. I used to drive along this road as it was the main entry to Shaw Centre, which used to have the cheapest parking within the Orchard Road district. 

Loving it when complimentary water was served! I was drawn to the sunday set lunch which offered seven types of mains, and included soup, dessert and beverage. 

Options for beverage - coffee, tea, sprite, coke and iced tea. The usual me would have opted for iced tea but strangely, I went with hot tea instead. Maybe my body was giving me warning signs as I fell ill the next day. 

Soup consisted of minestrone soup, plus bread and butter! 

While the bread was soft and fluffy, texture suitable to soak up a nice, flavorful bowl of soup, the minestrone soup was, sadly, underwhelming in taste. 


My main - king prawns with lobster bisque pasta! Again, another rare order since I don't particularly fancy pasta given how starch heavy it is. 

But the words on the menu, prawns and lobster, captivated my attention. As you can deduce from the photos, it was just two prawns, with some mushrooms and a massive amount of pasta! 

While the noisy slurps from me might have implied tastiness, the sauce was a tad too bland and the prawns, in spite of being king prawns, failed to impress with meat that could have been firmer and crunchier. And yes, way too much pasta for me! 

For desserts, we can choose between ice cream (basic flavors like vanilla, chocolate etc) and the dessert of the day was cheesecake. To be honest, calling it a cheesecake was pushing it a bit.

What I received was more a sponge cake. However, it tasted like those castella sponge cake with cheese and this was surprisingly light and with a pretty good flavour.

According to my younger sister, a lot of diners came for the sliced fish bee hoon and from one glance around the restaurant, it did appear on a lot of tables. I took a sip of the broth; tasty alright although not to the extent I would crave for it. What sealed the deal was the fish; super fresh and smooth! Needless to say, my parents loved it! 

=====

Address
1 Scotts Rd, #03 - 16 / 17 / 18, 
Shaw Centre, Singapore 228208

Map
As above. 

Operating Hours
As above.

Website

Sunday Set Menu
As above.

Pricing
Prawns with Lobster Bisque Pasta Set - S$19.90
Sliced Fish Bee Hoon Set - S$13.90
(Subject to GST and Service Charge)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment