Sunday, June 05, 2022

Lad & Dad - British Pub Grub (Fish and Chips, Beef Stew) @ Tanjong Pagar [Singapore]

What doesn't appear on Google Map for "food" doesn't mean anything as Google needs to have a revenue stream and it's common that those paying for advertisements have a significantly higher chance in standing out from the hundreds or even thousands of commercial establishments in a limited area scope. 

Lad & Dad can be found on Google Map but that's only when I keyed in its name under search. The reason I am aware of it was due to a recommendation from some Facebook video and the one thing that caught my attention; fish and chips.

Frankly, the eatery is at a location I would not likely notice if I am walking along the corresponding Craig Road, especially with the green awnings covering the facade, and the eye-catching shophouses opposite. 

Menu wasn't extension with just four mains, and seven sides. Way more options for beverages; three types of beer, six kinds of spirits, and standard soft drinks, bottled water, tea etc.  Given the hot weather, let's go with the iced tea, served in beer mugs! 

Beef Stew - while I was there for the fish and chips, I thought it will be better to order two different dishes for a wider review, and it appeared that the stews were the first on their menu when the eatery first started operations at a hawker centre. 

I prefer grilled beef over stewed beef, although I had to admit that every piece was soft and tender, soaked in the nice, savory broth that made every bite so delectable; even the carrots were good. Alex gave the thumbs-up for the mashed potatoes! 

Fish and Chips - just a look at the dark batter and I knew for sure I would enjoy its crisp texture! Interestingly, the staff would ask if you would like vinegar for the dip, in addition to chilli and ketchup. Vinegar is supposed to be the standard dip for fish and chip back in the Great Britain. 

The thin, crispy beer batter was incredibly enjoyable and it's worth noting that the 150-gram Atlantic haddock fish was fresh with layers of moist, juicy meat! What goes perfectly with it? The combination of homemade gherkin tartar, AND chilli sauces! 

Thick cut chips were like a thinner version of potato wedges, which is less preferred than French fries. However, the use of tartar and chilli sauces made a difference and they were, in fact, pretty addictive.

Most fish and chips eateries would offer either mashed potatoes or salad but right here at Lad & Dad; it was mushy green peas! Kids hate green peas and my dislike for it never reduced over the years; till now, I would pick them out. Notwithstanding the aforementioned, I love the mushy peas; the taste was uniquely palatable and I would say it's similar to green curry; albeit not as overpowering. 

=====

Cleaned up! Personally, I would say this is the best fish and chips I had where I would willingly eat up everything, except for maybe the slice of lemon, although Alex, the indisputable fish and chips guru, didn't share my thoughts. 

Address
7 Tanjong Pagar Plaza, 
#01-108, Singapore 081007
(beside Block 8)

Map
As above.

Website

Operating Hours
Refer to above.
Closed on Mondays

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Beef Stew - S$19.00
Fish and Chips (S) - S$19.00
(No Service Charge, Inclusive of GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment