Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Orange & Teal Café - Great Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Chop & A Chance to Meet Singapore's Most "Infamous" Opposition Politician @ Rochester Mall (Near Buona Vista MRT Station) [Singapore]

With so many cafes in Singapore, a new entrant would not have generated much interest unless it is an import from popular overseas establishments. In the case of Orange & Teal Café, it generated a lot of buzz when it started operations a year ago, and the reason was somewhat unconventional. 

The owner was Dr Chee Soon Juan, an "infamous" opposition politician who has sparred with the main governing party in Singapore for many years; often abrasive and in a confrontational manner frowned upon by most of the citizens. 

Whatever the case, I am not here to talk politics. As usual, food is always placed higher on my priority but food aside; I must admit I love the interior design of this cafe! 

This is this classy, intellectual yet comfortable atmosphere brought out by the wooden flooring and the teal walls. Or maybe because of the presence of Dr Chee in the cafe! 

There's even a corner decked out with sofa chairs and nondescript bookcases filled with books! Can just imagine Dr Chee giving a book talk whenever he publishes a new book on Singapore politics. 

Anyway, I needed my lunch. While the set lunch might appear tempting, I did realize that the top up was almost S$10.00, and I seriously didn't need the extra calories from ice lemon tea and soup of the day.

Furthermore, plain water was complimentary! While I would have loved the sweetness from ice lemon tea, plain water would have been healthier. 

My friend's O&T Original Burger - no, I didn't want to deprive my friend of her burger but she did offer some French fries that were fried to a crisp! For a person who didn't quite fancy French fries, I need to thank Jovyn who is a huge French fries fan, specifically those flavored ones from Potato Corner

Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Chop - my order; honestly, didn't look like much.

I wanted a main without any starch-heavy sides and this one appeared to be the least damaging. Only thing was that I should have replaced the potatoes for maybe more vegetables. It's okay though since I managed to pass them to my friends. 

Frankly, I usually have my chicken chop without any sauce, preferring to indulge in the marination of the chicken chop itself. How do you think it fares? I was totally taken back by the honey mustard sauce; high viscosity with my taste buds bouncing between sweetness, sourness and a touch of bitterness.

 Generally, I dislike having mustard but this was seriously good! Being typical Singaporean, I asked for chilli, which I didn't touch until I needed it for the French fries. Chicken wise, it was well marinated, pretty juicy and of course, perfect for the honey mustard sauce! 

A main I would definitely return for in the future! By the way, Dr Chee dropped by our table; not to talk about politics. Instead he asked if the food was fine; absolutely different from the combative side we were accustomed to seeing on the mass media. 

=====

Address 
35 Rochester Dr, #02-12,
Rochester Mall, Singapore 138639

Map
As above. 

Operating Hours
As above. Closed on Mondays

Facebook Page

Pricing
Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Chop - S$17.80
(No Service Charge, No GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment