Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Pin Wei Hong Kong Style Chee Cheong Fun (品味港式猪肠粉) @ Pek Kio Hawker Centre [Singapore] #pekkiohawkercentre

In my memory of Pek Kio hawker centre, the most famous stall had to be the prawn noodle (soup) manned by a no-nonsense auntie but in my recent visit; a snaking long queue caught my attention.

Pin Wei Hong Kong Style Chee Cheong Fun (品味港式猪肠粉); with the Michelin guide photo gracing a part of its menu signboard, it's a no-wonder that residents were flocking to get a taste of its signature chee cheong fun.

Exhibiting the skill of rolling the freshly cooked sheet of rice noodle into its finalized product; the rice noodle recipe was the same with differentiation from the fillings that varied from plain, char siew, prawns and scallops.

Only mom was with me and I can only stomach one serving of chee cheong fun. My favorite filling has always been prawns and I guess these three rolls would be more than sufficient, especially when I had 
already ingested pancakes from Yean Heng

A closed up roll - simple enough with not much visual fanfare. Would this be worth the almost 40-minute wait I endured just to get my hands on them with a price tag of S$5.00?

One bite and my eyes went wide. Immediately, I told my mom to take a bite as I can't guarantee she would have anything for herself should she decide to finish her kopi o kosong first! The texture of the chee cheong fun was silky smooth and it was so soft and oily that I didn't need much effort to let it slide down my throat.

The sauce will break or make the dish and I am glad it was the latter. While it might appear to be your usual light soya sauce, this was uniquely flavorful and likely a secret recipe! C'mon, it's listed on Michelin Plate and there must be something that let it stand out from the rest of its competitors! 

Even the sesame seeds played a part; creating an additional layer of crunch and aroma. To be honest, it's been so long since I last had such extraordinary chee cheong fun! Bet Alex would agree with me. 

=====

Address
41A Cambridge Rd, #01-25,
Pei Kio Market & Food Centre, 
Singapore 211041

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Prawn Chee Cheong Fun - S$5.00

No comments:

Post a Comment