Tuesday, May 03, 2022

The Min Jiang Kueh (Pancake) @ Food City by Fu Chan in Chong Pang, Yishun [Singapore]

The standard lunch for me whenever I work from home would be fish soup from a stall in Chong Pang hawker centre but for reasons unbeknownst to me; I will always crave for the local pancake, also known as min jiang kueh! 

And the stall I would go to is opposite the hawker centre. It has no name (doubt pandan pancake is the name) and is helmed by an elderly gentleman, who would be assisted by a much younger chap on weekends / school vacations. 

I would ask for pieces with the crunchy edges and they would then be put into a plastic bag for takeaway. Usually, it would be peanuts although for the purpose of this official review, plus the fact that I had my mother with me to share the fats; I opted for coconut too.

Batter was of course nice (remember, I am a quite regular customer), and while I didn't get a lot of peanuts; the taste and sweetness were just right and I didn't have to manage the mess of having the peanut bits all over the table! In addition, I personally don't like batter that's crispy thin or overly thick. The thickness as above is the best! 

Coconut pancake. 

Just a sprinkling of coconut shreds but to me, the taste was already there. Too much and it's likely going to be too sweet for the elderly population in the Chong Pang area.

See the thin, crispy edge! To me, a good min jiang kueh must have the crisp wings, substantial fillings and a batter that's of the right thickness. The stall here might not have passed the second criterion but since the taste was still not bad; flexibility can be exercised! 

Pandan pancake - since the words "pandan pancake" took up such a big portion on the signage, it didn't feel right if I were to choose not to review it. Having my mom with me is a great excuse to give it a try. 

Batter was too soggy and limp for my liking and tasted like a watery version of the mooncake's pandan filling that I attempted before for my mid-autumn festival bakes. To me, traditional flavors like peanuts and coconut are the way to go.   

=====

Address 
Block 101, Yishun Ave 5, 
Food City by Fu Chan,
Singapore 760101

Pricing
Pancake - S$0.90 each

No comments:

Post a Comment