Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Red Bean Taiyaki from Mr Obanyaki @ Ngee Ann City Food Hall in Orchard [Singapore]

Maybe it's age; I do find myself craving for a snack even after meals, especially if I am outside. Sometimes, it would be ice cream; other times, it might be cheng tng. 

I was at Ngee Ann City food hall a weekend ago and those who are acquainted with the place would know it has a number of stalls that offer snacks; one of which is Mr Obanyaki! 

There was a queue and the aroma was tempting! Despite her age, the elderly staff was experienced in handling the making process of the taiyaki, with every motion timed perfectly, and performed deftly. A visual treat, doubt.
@cavinteo Making the taiyaki! At Ngee Ann City! #ngeeanncitysingapore #taiyaki #mrobanyaki ♬ original sound - Cavin Teo
Happy to see she was quite liberal with the red bean paste! 

Finally my turn to order! Four flavors to choose from (red bean, chocolate, cheese and mochi red bean). Being a traditionalist, the red bean it shall be!  

Piping hot taiyaki in this paper bag! Extra care shall be exercised in case butterfingers me caused to drop it on the floor; with so many people in Ngee Ann City, you would not likely catch shy me picking up a dropped item from the floor and continue to eat it.

Look at how pretty this fish was! It was still hot, felt heavy with what appeared to a thin crisp for the outer shell. I am a fan of Crayon Shinchan and you know what's his favorite way of eating taiyaki!?

He will eat it from the butt, by pressing all the filling out, into his mouth! Disgusting it sure was. I am not as crude; I shall leave the best for the last and target the parts with likely the least filling. Starting with the tail. Batter was chewy yet with an enticing buttery aroma. 

Red bean was the quality type; a mix of smoothness with rough mushiness that wasn't overly sweet and complemented well with the batter. A satisfying snack that managed to fill up my tummy. Imagine eating this in cold weather! 

=====

Address
391 Orchard Road,
B2 Takashimaya Food Hall, 
Ngee Ann City, Singapore 238872

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Red Bean Taiyaki - S$2.00

No comments:

Post a Comment