Friday, May 20, 2022

Chun Seng Noodle House (春成面之家) - Original Bak Chor Mee @ Ghim Moh Hawker Centre [Singapore] #ghimmohhawkercentre

Contrary to perception, I am a boring person when it comes to food. You don't see me trying new stalls unless they are strongly recommended. Hence, if I am brought to a hawker centre that I have visited before a few times before, chances are high I would go for the selected few stalls that I patronized before. 

But it's a different story last week! I chanced upon Chun Seng Noodle House, loved its logo of a cat tucking into a bowl of noodle, and decided to give it a try even though I am hardly the bak chor mee lover! 

Maybe also because it's new and I was craving for noodle! It's reassuring to also see the above; when the "best bowl deserves the best ingredients". Let's see if it manages to change my opinion of bak chor mee. 

Here it is - the original bak chor mee! The signature is braised pork noodle, where the braised pork was based on a 100-year old recipe. Frankly, I am not fixated on how old the recipe is; so long the food is good. Since the original bak chor mee also has two slices of the braised pork, I think it would be sufficient "meat" for review.

A singular dumpling in the soup; I was expecting the soup to be flavorful and full of umami but it was relatively bland. Target should be on the dumpling then, which was bigger than those in wanton mee. 

Meaty and juicy, I wouldn't mind having more of these in the soup! I just realized the dumplings should be the bigger sized 水饺, and this one appeared a tad smaller than the norm. 

The braised pork - taste wise, it was pretty good although the texture wasn't the melt-in-the-mouth kind that I expected. I definitely have better ones elsewhere but since these were companions to the bak chor mee; I am not complaining.

Now the noodle - reason why I didn't like bak chor mee in general is because I dislike having too strong a vinegar flavor and when it's too weak; I would prefer fishball or wanton mee instead. Chun Seng Noodle House is one place whereby I would return for the bak chor mee! 

To me, it provided the optimal level of vinegar in its noodle; wasn't overly strong  and the noodle was al dente, incentivizing every slurp into the mouth and before I knew it, I had literally clean up every strand of the noodle! 

=====

Address
20 Ghim Moh Road, #01-12,
20 Ghim Moh Road Market & Food Centre
Singapore 270020

Map
As above.

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/ilovechunsengnoodle

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Original Bak Chor Mee - S$4.50

No comments:

Post a Comment