Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Best Mutton Satay from Pondok Makan Indonesia @ Albert Centre Hawker Centre (Bugis) [Singapore] #albertcentrehawkercentre #halal

When it comes to satay, my preferred meat is pork, followed by mutton. However, it's hard to find good mutton satay; while the flavor is there, the issue faced centered on its usually hard texture, nothing like the tenderness I can find in pork satay.

The Great Kon begged to differ. According to him, the ones from Pondok Makan Indonesia stall at Albert Centre Hawker Centre are the best and I did attempt to check out the stall once but it was already closed for business. 

I was lucky this time round as the stall was open and I managed to secure 10 sticks of mutton satay. Honestly, I would have ordered another 10 sticks of chicken satay if not for the fact that I was alone and had a separate dinner appointment later. 

From the look, the mutton appeared moist and juicy although I would personally prefer a more charred texture. Once I took a bite, it's an OMG different story. The juiciness was expected but it easily trumped over the rest of mutton satay I ever had in my life; meat was surprisingly tender, flavorful and chockful of herbs and spices! 

Another key feature was the piece of mutton fat in the middle of each stick of mutton satay; kid you not, the sinful stuff was good stuff and elevated this amazing mutton satay to epic level! If you want me to choose between a non halal pork satay and this halal mutton satay, I might go with the halal option.

For that extra oomph, dip the satay into the peanut curry gravy; even though it was a bit too fluid for my liking. I also prefer a nuttier flavor. A friend asked me if it was gamey and I told him it was a wrong question because I love mutton simply because of their iconic taste.

Cleaned it up and couldn't wait to be back!
Thanks to the Great Kon for the recommendation! 

=====

Address
271 Queen Street, 
#01-123, Albert Centre Food Centre,
Singapore 180271

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Mutton Satay - S$0.70 a stick
(Minimum 10 Sticks, Can't Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment