Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Hao You Ji Charcoal Roasted Delights (好友记炭火烧腊) @ Chan Eating House in Yishun Block 110 [Singapore]

There was supposed to be a stall selling authentic, Hokkien-style salted duck porridge in a coffee shop at Yishun block 101 and I was all excited to bring my mom to check it out.

But a friend she bumped into persuaded us to check out the roasted delights from a pretty new tenant. I absolutely can't resist after looking, and salivating, at the strings of red char siew with charred edges! 

We shall indulge this time with a three-combination platter + soup set! 

I personally thought it's quite worth it in terms of variety since we were given two bowls of soup, two plates of plain white rice and three types of roasted delights which consisted of roast duck, roast pork and char siew, for just S$13.00.

Portion was also quite reasonable for the pricing. Apparently, this wasn't the first branch under Hao You Ji. I found two other branches on the web and one common grouch from the one at Geylang Bahru was its pathetic portion. Thankfully not the case in Yishun.

Most roast delights shops would have served us clear, likely bland, soup with maybe a piece of cabbage. Right here, you get one loaded with deliciously soft radishes, and one chicken feet! Soup was flavorful but I can't stand seeing chicken feet; which was visually repulsive. I happily passed it over to my mom!

Roast Pork - that nice, irresistible crunch was a necessity; a bit fatty and a tad salty. You would need rice to tame and balance out the saltiness. 

Roast Duck - meaty but stick to the teeth; it had a natural flavor to it that could have been enhanced with some special sauce, like sour plum sauce. Skin wasn't the crispy type I like. 

Char Siew - delicious marination, with a charcoal roasted aroma although the cut given to me was towards the lean side; hence decreasing the satisfaction that could have been way higher! 

What to do? I still have some rice left.
Should I sacrifice them for the benefit of my tummy? 

Nope, I ordered another serving of char siew! 
And it's a minimum of S$6.00! 

This time round, the cut given to me was too fatty! Look at the above picture; it's literally just fats! While sinfully delicious, it got a bit cloying towards the tail end of my meal. Damn, it felt like I was just being hard to please. 

=====

Address
Block 110, Yishun Ring Road,
Chan Eating House, #01-401, 
Singapore 760110

Map 
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Three-Combination Platter + Soup Set - S$13.00

No comments:

Post a Comment