Thursday, March 31, 2022

XLX Modern Tze Char @ Yishun Park Hawker Centre [Singapore] #yishunparkhawkercentre

Do you enjoy working from home? I sure do as I save more than two hours of commute and those extra time allows me to exercise and also to meet up for dinner with my family members who live in Yishun. 

In our most recent meetup, it was to Yishun Park Hawker Centre as I needed new materials for this blog! And the one I picked was XLX Modern Tze Char. Taking two stalls, it did a great job with its eye-catching signboard!

Deal breaker was the standee with a poster declaring a champion set meal consisting of salted egg chicken cube rice! I am nursing a craving as my favorite salted egg chicken rice stall, at Singapore Poly has ceased operation. :( 

Payment made, collected buzzer and in less than 10 minutes; the buzzer vibrated with excitement. This buzzer invention is amazing; I still remember the past when staff would deliver to your table and they were often known for their sharp memory. 

Here's my food; the XLX (kept thinking it's XXL) seafood white bee hoon and the salted egg chicken cube rice. I intended to try the XLX prawn cake but it wasn't available. 

XLX Seafood White Bee Hoon - I was glad I went for the one-person portion as it appeared to be way too much for us! Maybe a visual illusion, because it was also a lot soupier than the traditional one from You Huak Restaurant (Sembawang White Beehoon)

Frankly, I wasn't that impressed with the flavor; it was mild, not rich, and definitely didn't excite my palate. To be fair, it wasn't bad tasting; I might just have expected too much given that white bee hoon is quite a common staple nowadays, with fierce competition. 

Saving grace was that at S$7.50, portion was big, there were two pretty large prawns that were fresh and plenty of meaty clams. The health conscious me was also happy to find a lot of vegetables in the soup.

Salted Egg Chicken Cube Rice - I guess it was a set due to the accompanying side dishes; the omelette which was bland and vegetables that didn't have much taste except for a pinch of boring spiciness.  

Anyway, my main focus was the salted egg chicken cubes! It's so hard to find a decent one in Singapore although I don't really seek actively. Anyone has good recommendation can let me know! 

These could have been so much better. The batter was crispy, the meat was juicy but the main deciding ingredient, salted egg sauce, was not in tip top form. It was decent tasting yet lacked the addictive punch; didn't help as well that the sauce was quite little. 

=====

Overall not that satisfied with both dishes even though what I had might not be a good representative for the whole stall as there are many other dishes on their menu.  

Address
51 Yishun Avenue 11, Yishun Park Hawker Centre, 
#01-28, Singapore 768867

Map
As above.

Pricing 
XLX Seafood White Bee Hoon - S$7.50
Salted Egg Chicken Cube Rice - S$6.20
(inclusive of GST) 
(10% discount if you pay via Tuckshop App)

No comments:

Post a Comment